Everyday Cooking with Arthritis

Holly Clegg

May 23rd, 2013

Holly Clegg

By Holly Clegg

Did you know that arthritis is the second most reported chronic disease? My father has suffered with arthritis and has had three hip replacements and trouble with his hands and I have dear friend that has had finger surgeries and problems holding a fork. I worked closely with the Arthritis Association of Louisiana to research and learn the correlation between food and arthritis to focus on recipes, tips and nutritional nuggets to help alleviate arthritic symptoms, such as joint inflammation, fatigue and nausea.

Check out these nutritional nuggets that may help those that are challenged by arthritis to ease arthritis symptoms and reduce inflammation.

Vitamin C

1. Watermelon. A delicious summer favorite fruit that is packed full of  Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant that reduces and helps fight inflammation and  also plays an essential role in collagen formation, helping to keep bone and cartilage tissue strong, which also helps reduce pain from arthritic inflammation.

Selenium

2. Shrimp. A lean source of protein, shrimp is also found to be an excellent source of the antioxidant mineral selenium – protecting the body from inflammatory damage to the joints. Always buy peeled shrimp to help reduce stress on your joints.

Rich in Potassium

3. Skim milk. Calcium and vitamin D are its most praised nutrients but skim milk is rich in potassium, protein and other nutrients needed to build our bones, as well.

Vitamin A

4. Sweet potatoes. Are rich in Vitamin A and carotenoids by their rich orange color-providing powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidants.

For easy reference, the nutritional and dietary exchange information are included for each recipe, and symbols highlighting Freezer-friendly, Vegetarian, Gluten-free and Diabetic-friendly recipes are included throughout the book. For more recipes and information, visit www.hollyclegg.com

**This content is for informational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your primary care physician.

11 Responses to Everyday Cooking with Arthritis

1. Vivian Rouly 29/05/2013 at 1:44 pm

Suffer daily with OA. Cannot take Nsaids, very allergic.

2. Elizabeth Szafranski 29/05/2013 at 3:14 pm

I find your Healthy Hints to be very valuable; I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis over 40 years ago and although now well controlled with “lots” of medication, would love to get off all meds and be treated only with natural foods and products. Please keep up your Healthy Hints. THANKS!

• Elizabeth Elizabeth 29/05/2013 at 7:52 pm

Hi Elizabeth. You are very welcome. Hope you have a great day! ~Elizabeth

3. Mary Ahls 29/05/2013 at 3:46 pm

Your corporation had some great ideas for eating to help with arthritis inflammation and pain. You should also sell Arizona Cactus Ranch Sugar free Prickly pear Nectar products, as they have been proven to reduce the inflammation in the body. They also help regulate sugar, and are recommended by Dr. OZ for diabetic patients, as they help reduce the need for insulin. FYI, in case you do an article on eating recipes for diabetic folks.

• Elizabeth Elizabeth 29/05/2013 at 7:51 pm

Hi Mary. Yes, we are planing a diabetes email in the near future. Thank you for recommending the Prickly Pear Nectar products, I will pass that information along and see what we can do about caring the line. ~Elizabeth

4. brenda 29/05/2013 at 7:40 pm

I appreciate the info as I suffer not only from osteoarthritis but also psoriatic arthritis. Every bit of help is appreciated.

• Elizabeth Elizabeth 29/05/2013 at 7:45 pm

Hi Brenda. Sorry to hear that you are suffering, but I am glad we could help provide you with some additional information. Hope you have a great rest of your day! ~Elizabeth

5. LaVona 29/05/2013 at 9:10 pm

I have had a Right Hip Replacement, but decided I do not want to have a Left Hip Replacement, so I am going to try the Prolozone Injections, which will get rid of inflammation and give me lubrication to my hip. I appreciate your advice to eat these foods, as they will help with more vitamins and minerals, and give me overall body health. I hope you can also get the Prickly Pear Nectar Products.

6. paulette lemon 30/05/2013 at 9:18 pm

I was just recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis. In pain 24/7. Really appreciate any and all info regarding this debilitating disease. Thank you for the food tips.

7. gwen jones 25/07/2014 at 4:34 pm

My partner was just diagnosed with gout. The list of things he cannot eat because of this is long. Can you suggest some recipes and guidelines? he has been told no meat, no seafood, no alcohol.

• Customer Care Customer Care 26/07/2014 at 1:55 pm

We are sorry to hear of your partner’s diagnosis, Gwen. We recommend speaking to your doctor for advice on what kind of diet your partner will need and ask about available resources to find recipes you can use. We wish you both the best luck. ~Victor