Card Free Savings

Christine Wilcox

Jun 19th, 2013

Card Free Savings, now at Albertsons!

Albertsons Customers,
This week, we began notifying customers that our Preferred Card is no longer required at our stores to receive sales prices on items. We know you’ve had your card for years, and you’re used to having to use our card when you shop to get a great deal.

Once upon a time, a shopper card set customers aside. It meant that you were taking extra steps to save money, and we offered special items that were only available at special prices when you had the special card.

The card isn’t so special anymore. Everyone has one. So we want to take the special step of not requiring one anymore.

Our customers are the only reasons that our doors open every day. Because of you, we exist. It’s that simple. We feel it’s our job to give everyone a great shopping experience, and that includes offering great prices to everyone.

If your Preferred Card is attached to your Upromise/SavingStar account, that’s okay. You will still be able to have your card scanned when you purchase your groceries and your account activity will be appropriately reflected. If you currently use your Preferred Card to earn Fuel Rewards, you can still scan it when you shop. Fuel Rewards will continue. As always, if any changes are made to that program, you’ll be the first to know.

We invite you to share your thoughts with our Customer Service Center and thank you for your business.

153 Responses to Card Free Savings

1. Stephanie Andrews 19/06/2013 at 6:08 am

i enjoy Albertsons i wish i could work there i am curtsey clerk experience i love the customer service they treated my mom well when we lived in Mira Mesa, Now i moved resigned over off Balboa

• Jana 19/06/2013 at 9:42 pm

Hi Stephanie, Thanks for your interest! A customer care representative will reach out to you shortly via email with information on applying for positions with Albertsons. Have a great day!

2. contreras eddy 19/06/2013 at 6:18 am

I hope u guys know what you’re doing
    whats next sell and close stores, thats how the new Albertsons LLC does bussinnes same way
    like before bought 600 plus stores close and sold division Before the new purchase from supervalu there were 200 left that had survive, please close all them and don’t waste our time will lies

• Jana 19/06/2013 at 9:47 pm

Hi Contreras, Thanks for taking the time to comment. We want to assure you, we have no immediate plans to close any stores.

3. Julie Bove 19/06/2013 at 7:05 am

Thanks! I hate the cards! :)

4. Jeri Kingston 19/06/2013 at 7:29 am

I am confused . But I love your store and your customer service is supreme

5. Michael McK 19/06/2013 at 1:22 pm

Guess I will have to start shopping at Ralph’s
    so I can get savings.

6. Henry Banuelos Sr. 19/06/2013 at 1:35 pm

Ever little bit counts towards savings and especiall with food prices rising. Thanks Albertsons! Your Going into the “Right Direction. Please keep the Fuel Reward , it really helps when your retired like I am.

7. RCrow 19/06/2013 at 1:45 pm

It is about time!

We are being FORCED to JUMP through the hoops just to give our money to the supermarkets.

As far as I am concerned, get rid of the Gasoline HOOP, get rid of the UCARD and just get me the LOWEST price you can and I will compare it to the other chain store prices. Yes,

IT IS ABOUT TIME a Supermarket breaks away from the pack.

Go for it.

Thanks,

RCrow Long Beach, CA

8. DOAN NGUYEN 19/06/2013 at 2:21 pm

ALBERTSONS MARKET SERVICE VERRY VERRY GOOD……PRICE VERRY VERRY GOOD

9. shelly 19/06/2013 at 3:59 pm

PLEASE do away with that foolish “10 for $10.00, 2 for $5.00″ pricing. It’s meaningless, and quite frankly, insulting to the intelligence of your customers.

10. Linda 19/06/2013 at 3:59 pm

Thank you!!!!! Makes shopping so much easier. Checking out will be better, I can focus on payment and making sure I got everything I needed as I watch the checker scan my grocery.

11. Lisa 19/06/2013 at 4:00 pm

PLEASE don’t take away the fuel rewards. That has been one thing that has helped me stay afloat in the last couple of years with everything going up and not having a stable income.

12. Cindy Gallup 19/06/2013 at 4:33 pm

I like the new changes and feel this is exactly what Albertson needed to rejuvenate it back to the successful store it used to be!!!! Joe would be proud!!!! I appreciate my Caldwell store. All the employees work hard to provide a great shopping experience.
    Love the lower prices!!!

Thank You!!!
    Cindy Gallup

13. JUDITH TAVES 19/06/2013 at 5:17 pm

Each employee at each Albertson’s store need to be advised that the Albertson’s card is still needed to earn fuel points and use e-coupons
    until expired. I have been unsuccessful in convincing the checkout staff that I need to enter my card in order to get cents off for e-coupons that are tied to my account.

• Jana 19/06/2013 at 8:03 pm

Hi Judith, Thanks for your feedback. We’ll make sure to address it with the store staff again. A customer service representative will be reaching out to you shortly via email to get some additional information such as the store that this occurred at. Thanks again and have a great rest of your day!

14. kenny mohler 19/06/2013 at 5:29 pm

when we use our card or type in my phone number will I still get points toward the $5.00 per each 5000 points earned. Thanks

• Jana 19/06/2013 at 7:58 pm

Hi Kenny, A Customer Service Representative will be following up with you via email you provided with your comment shortly.

15. Lauri Kingsley 19/06/2013 at 7:12 pm

I appreciate the courtesy i receive at my local Albertsons and when i am visiting in Idaho. I am disabled and always receive help with a smile. Thank you. One recommendation would be for sliding doors on the freezer and refrigeration units to allow those of us in wheelchairs access. I live in Port Angeles Washington and so wish you had a fuel center here. I prefer Albertsons over Safeway.

• Jana 19/06/2013 at 7:47 pm

Hi Lauri, Thanks for your feedback! A Customer Service Representative will be following up with you via the email address you provided with your comment shortly.

16. Sarah Emerich 19/06/2013 at 10:04 pm

I love my local Albertson’s store! Their products and wonderful and the customer service is amazing. So amazing, I know every time I go shopping, the employees know me by name, as well as my husband, and all the names of all four of my kids. They know the type of food I like, along with new product recommendations that they see me purchase often. They go as far to know when some of my family member’s birthdays are. Its like going to a neighborhood market where everyone know me.

Since we such a large family (6 people in our household), we utilize the fuel rewards. I plan my income for gas around how much I can fill up at the gas station using my fuel points. As a smart shopper, this is very important to me when planning our monthly budget. If I can save up my rewards to get .20 off per gallon, I feel like I am providing and doing my job as a smart consumer by staying in our monthly budget.

As a frequent shopper and love our local “hometown” Albertson’s store, please do not do away with fuel points. Thanks for listening!

17. Barbara Marrin 20/06/2013 at 1:39 pm

It’s great to find a store that doesn’t show favoritism to local shoppers who ‘have the card’ and penalize others who may not. Though I do have your card, I sometimes felt it was an invasion of my privacy for retailers to ‘track’ my purchases via their ‘loyalty’ cards.

18. Tim 20/06/2013 at 5:32 pm

This is a step in the right direction. Right now, I have around 20 frequent shoppers cards in my wallet. To me they are out of control. My current favorite supermarket doesn’t, and has never issued cards. They do have e-coupons which get accessed by your phone number and this is fine.

I’m glad to see Albertsons following suit and hopefully others will too. Now all they need to do is build a store closer to where I live. The closest one is 10 miles away, but I have a Vons (Safeway) and two Stater Brothers within a mile of me so they are where I go to first.

19. Lisa 20/06/2013 at 7:07 pm

First of all, I hate the cards. I love your current coupon policy and hope you dont change it. You need to make efforts to lower your prices in general. And the most important thing of all, we want our Corvallis Oregon store back and please dont close the Albany store.

20. Greg 20/06/2013 at 7:22 pm

Our stores in the Dallas,Texas area have not used cards for about three years. I think its great. I do not recall anything about Fuel “points. I’ll ask tonight when I go shopping.
    THANKS ALOT!

21. Eric 20/06/2013 at 10:27 pm

Today’s consumers are as finicky as a manager looking at 100 resumes for 1 job. Give me superior customer service *AND* the lowEST everyday prices, and you’ll easily pull me back into your stores.

22. Jon 20/06/2013 at 10:44 pm

Stores here in Arizona ditched the card a while back, and I don’t miss it. No games, no “fake” card discounts. What I do like are the weekly specials in your flyer that comes out every Wednesday–they can’t be beat. I also appreciate your prices on stuff I use a lot: yogurt, milk, pasta and spaghetti sauce, cereal, and paper towels. Plus, I love the folks that work at the 19th Avenue store–they’re the best!

23. max 20/06/2013 at 11:41 pm

Love the Albertsons in Poulsbo, WA. Card or no card, I like shopping there.

24. Jackie 21/06/2013 at 12:46 am

I believe a better idea is to allow us to load coupons to the card in the way Von’s and Ralph’s have started doing.

25. Patricia S 21/06/2013 at 12:47 am

Haven’t been able to shop here for years. Albertson’s inconsiderately closed the only store that I was able to drive myself to, and stopped home delivery also. Many of us senior citizens have been left out in the cold once again with no quality grocery stores in our area.

26. Patricia L. Johnson 21/06/2013 at 5:13 am

No cards… yay! The cards were a stupid idea and Albertsons is brilliant to eliminate them!
    I am a happy grocery shopper,

27. Deena McClusky 21/06/2013 at 3:10 pm

I got the news yesterday that you have discontinued the cards and must say I was incredibly pleased. It makes me want to shop your store more. Great decision!

28. Richard Lucik 21/06/2013 at 7:12 pm

I have enjoyed shopping at Albertson’s for years…I got my favorite wok-style sauté pan
    with handle and glass top from a coupon stamp program you ran several years ago. I hated the coupon “events” where you got multi coupons to paste into brochures for a chance to win money, prizes, etc. I never even got one complete match…everyone should have gotten a least a token win. Very time consuming and irritating.
    Albertsons is my number 3 choice for shopping and here’s the top two and why.
    1. Fresh&Easy..they give me online coupons for items I repeat buy and online $5 and $10 off on total spent plus bonus points that convert to savings. Best price around for milk, dairy, other specials.
    2. Stater Bros..bulk items and prices for bread, peanut butter, coffee, etc.
    I’m off to Albertsons right now to pick up a few things because you have the best generic breath right nasal strips for the price and I’m out of them and will pick up some veggies, etc. while there.

29. Brenda 21/06/2013 at 9:43 pm

I have been shopping at my albertsons since it opened over 12 yrs ago. I always have a great experience there. The new albies is starting to shine through, as i can see with lower prices on ALOT of things that before I would never buy there because it was too expensive. The shoppers card was only a pain when u had to have it to get the lowest price. But I still like the gas and savingstar e-cpns linked to my card. I think the new albertsons is doing a great job!

30. Kirsty 21/06/2013 at 10:19 pm

I agree with kenny mohler’s comment. The points system has been one of the main reasons I use my Albertson’s card. I think it is a major part of your prior program and any changes (or no changes, if that’s the case) should have been addressed in your letter. Are these points separate from the fuel points? You say the customer doesn’t need the card anymore, but to take full advantage of your program, you DO need a card. So I can get sale prices without a card? Great. But if I want to use ecoupons, SavingStar, or accumulate gas points, (and possibly reward points) I still need the card. Since I use all three of those things, I still need my card.

31. Darcy Halloran 22/06/2013 at 3:31 am

Glad to get rid of the card. You mean you don’t need to know what I buy and then send me coupons geared to my purchasing habits.

32. JEtzko 22/06/2013 at 7:53 pm

It’s about time! I’ve always hated that I had to present a sale card to get sale prices that should be automatically given to all customers. I applaud Albertsons for breaking away from the card mentality.

33. Thom 23/06/2013 at 6:01 am

The attendant took me through the self checkout ( I really don’t care for those). It was somewhat late and only one checkout stand was available . When I attempted to enter/swipe my card he said we no longer use those. I was quite surprised as I have always used it since it was first introduced. I’ve been a customer now for over two decades.

My local store closed and then I went to a nearby store which recently also closed it’s doors. I now travel about ten miles out of my way to Albertsons.

34. Joyce Ballard 23/06/2013 at 11:08 am

I agree! NO CARDS! I do not shop at any store that forces me to have a card. These are communistic practices that must be stopped. Thank you for the return to sanity!

35. Bill Horton 23/06/2013 at 11:15 am

I support your decision to eliminate the cards. I have long believed that anyone who shops in the store should be entitled to the sales price. Thanks for getting rid of the cards!

36. Autumn Capers 24/06/2013 at 8:11 pm

Hey! I am a new customer with Albertons and Ive JUST decided to start couponing. To be honest I like downloading coupons to my card. Is there a way to download coupons to my card?
    Also, if I understand this correctly. The only way to save MORE at this store is to clip/print coupons? The card is useless??
    Since Im new (cause I just moved to Cali) Id love to know if Upromise or Saving Star are worth putting my time into for further savings. Thanks!

37. Debbie Hill 24/06/2013 at 10:18 pm

I always enjoy shopping at Albertsons and all of their employees are always nice to me and I always make sure I get what I need. I am glad I don’t have to use my advantage card. Albertsons will go back to being a great store that it used to be.

38. Catrina 27/06/2013 at 12:19 am

You lost me as a customer for good.

39. Jim 27/06/2013 at 2:12 am

I’m glad we no longer need a card to get the lowest prices, but is Albertsons going to lower its prices to be more competitive with other supermarkets? For the last couple of years or so, Albertsons has been significantly more expensive than Vons and Ralphs. Are the new owners going to fix that?

40. Beverly Willison 27/06/2013 at 10:39 pm

It is with great pleasure that I hereby throw away my card. This was really getting out of hand with all the stores, way beyond its usefullness!
    Also, I’m so happy to see your new, good quality meat, no longer the “mystery meat” that I’ve been avoiding.

Best of luck with your new program, we’ll definitely be supporting you whenever we’re in Port Angeles, Wa

41. Joel Havian 28/06/2013 at 6:00 am

Smart move, Albertsons LLC! Let’s face it–loyalty card programs cost money to run. That ultimately results in higher grocery costs. When you owned the portion of Albertsons that Supervalu did not acquire, you ended the loyalty card with that chain. After your more recent purchase from Supervalu of the other Albertsons stores, Shaw’s/Star and Acme (the New Albertsons Inc. cluster), thus re-uniting the pre-Supervalu supermarket makeup of the Albertsons portfolio, you moved to retire the loyalty cards in this group as well. While I, as a Boston-area resident, was able over past years to successfully scan my Shaw’s Rewards Card at Acme in the Philadelphia area and Albertsons in the Phoenix area (before the loyalty card program ended there)–thus enjoying the card’s inter-operable capability among sister chains–your “deprecating” the Shaw’s Rewards Card, Acme Supercard and Albertsons Preferred Card is a bonus. Thank you for “helping make” my “life easier” (alluding to an old Albertsons slogan on this one). I now feel that I really am “in for something fresh” on this one.

42. John 28/06/2013 at 9:51 pm

It’s about time! I always considered these cards as a way to rip off the transient customer, not any kind of real discount card for regular customers. I admired Stater Brothers for never getting caught in that trap. Spent a lot more money at Stater’s over the years too.

43. Alec Wood 30/06/2013 at 10:57 pm

Hi, I am really happy that you dropped the card. With so many stores requiring a card to save money, I needed an extra wallet just to carry store savings cards. I will be shopping more at Albertsons now. Your store is just one mile from my house but I was driving 3 miles to a different store that didn’t have a shopping card.

44. Harry 02/07/2013 at 5:23 pm

Finally, some sanity to shopping. Thanks for taking the lead on this issue. What’s the point of everyone in the universe registering with every store to get a customer discount? It wastes everyone’s time and doesn’t promote a positive shopping experience. In addition, there’s always two prices posted and my kids have to have membership cards to shop and so if they forget their cards, they have to pay more? Thanks for bringing back sanity shopping. You have a new customer.

45. tonya douglas 02/07/2013 at 9:06 pm

Is there any chance of Albertson’s Changing the coupon policy and maybe doubling coupons? With the new changes with not having to use a card that would be the next best thing :)

• Customer Care Customer Care 07/08/2013 at 9:47 pm

Those are great suggestions, Tonya! I’ll let our teams know that you’d like to see double coupons. Are there any particular changes to the coupon policy you’d like to see? ~Marie

46. Melissa J 02/07/2013 at 9:34 pm

I love Albertson’s in Silverdale & Poulsbo, WA no matter whether there are cards or not. The people are excellent and I can easily find stuff in the store; not like Safeway. I’m always confused in there. It would be nice if Albertson’s would stock Blue Bunny ice cream again, especially I Do, I Do, Wedding Cake and if the bakery would make a delicious white coconut cake in different sizes like Safeways does. That is the ONLY reason I go there.

• Customer Care Customer Care 07/08/2013 at 10:06 pm

I’m so glad you enjoy the Albertsons stores in Silverdale and Poulsbo, Melissa! I’ll send your requests for Blue Bunny Ice Cream and White Coconut Cake to the Store Directors of the stores. Please let me know if you’d like a follow up at the email address you provided to us. Thank you for shopping at Albertsons! ~Marie

47. Georgi Shalhoob 03/07/2013 at 4:13 pm

I noticed the changeover immediately and commented to our store staff that the store had clearer aisles, fewer end caps and more space to maneuver carts. I buy all of my milk, produce and most meats at Albertson’s, but find that Wal-Mart has better prices overall for other groceries and household items. When I do buy produce, I often have to jump to reach the plastic bags over the vegetables. They were raised up to accommodate the misters, but someone forgot that female shoppers aren’t always 6 feet tall.

48. Mark 03/07/2013 at 8:06 pm

I have hated the cards for years. So Liberating !

49. Stephanie 04/07/2013 at 2:34 am

Fuel rewards when did Albertsons get those???

• Customer Care Customer Care 07/08/2013 at 10:06 pm

Great question, Stephanie. Many (but not all) of our stores in Washington, Idaho, Oregon and Montana offer fuel rewards and have for at least four years, back when we used to have our own gas stations. Now, we partner with Tesoro, USA, Stinker and Holiday for our fuel rewards programs in those areas. ~Marie

50. Wilma 04/07/2013 at 5:13 am

Is it true that Albertsons offers a children’s card which allows them a single organic fruit a day. This info was posted by a Facebook member. Thanks.

• Customer Care Customer Care 08/08/2013 at 5:41 am

Hey there, Wilma! The promotion for the Kids Club Card for produce ended on 2/28/13. Hope this helps, and that you have a great weekend! ~Cindy

51. T.B.Olson 05/07/2013 at 6:21 pm

I have shopped more at Albertsons in the last month than I have shopped there in years. I got tired of having to playing games and going on scavenger hunts to save money. Now that you have made it simple to shop again. I will be spending more of my grocery dollar at your friendly stores. THANK YOU for the positive changes!

52. Elle 06/07/2013 at 7:05 pm

Question: In no article do you explain how consumers get the coupon discount. At a local Alberton’s I was told that if I don’t have the coupon from a mailer the clerk would scan his copy at the register but at a subsequent visit to Albertson’s I had to tell the clerk (who was a mgr) that the hot dogs I selected were BOGO, which tells me that unless the consumer tells the clerk that the food is on sale, he won’t necessarily scan his store coupon at check out. This is great news for Alberton’s, huh? They get to keep a lot more $$ because many consumers won’t know or remember to tell the clerk to scan the coupons at the register. And please don’t tell me the solution is to cut out coupons before I go to the store. I DON’T want to waste my time doing that. If you’re doing away with the “Preferred” card, then do away with all “specials” and start selling food at the correct, lowest price. But, since that won’t happen, this is a warning to anyone who shops at Alberton’s. If you don’t have copious amounts of time on your hands to sit around scouring newspapers and mailings, cutting coupons for Alberton’s, you will either have to tell the clerk which items are on sale to ensure that you get the lowest price or you WILL get ripped off. Alberton’s rep: Please clarify if my experience is not the intended policy and if so, you need to education your store managers.

53. Trina 08/07/2013 at 12:29 am

Does this mean I can’t get a card so that I can start saving on Fuel and use the e-coupons?

• Customer Care Customer Care 07/08/2013 at 10:27 pm

You actually can still get a card to use for Fuel Rewards, Trina. We no longer offer e-coupons, but we currently have no intentions of discontinuing Fuel Rewards. If you want a new or replacement card, please email me at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com and provide your mailing address and we can get one sent out. Thank you! ~Marie

54. Jennifer 09/07/2013 at 11:07 pm

Where do all you live that get fuel discounts with an Albertsons card? That must not be an available program in Southern California. I wish it were. Vons and Ralphs both have a fuel discount program, but I am loyal to Albertsons because its what I’m used to, I suppose.

• Customer Care Customer Care 07/08/2013 at 10:27 pm

Thanks for being such a loyal Albertsons customer, Jennifer! We don’t have fuel rewards in Southern California any longer (that went away when we sold our fuel stations), but if you’re ever in Idaho, Montana, Washington or Oregon, you can still earn them! I’ll let our teams know you’d like to see fuel rewards in Southern California again. Thanks for your question! ~Marie

55. Karen Samuelson 11/07/2013 at 11:04 pm

I do not care for the events where you have to buy a certain amount to receive a coupon good on the next purchase or to receive a certain price. What on earth would two senior citizens do with 5 packs of soft drinks (just an example).

56. Virginia C Schultz 12/07/2013 at 7:46 pm

I just wanted to know where I can get a replacement card for my fuel rewards. A while back I requested for one but never received it and now I can’t find where to request another one.

Virginia

57. yeanette 17/07/2013 at 6:49 pm

Very happy to hear about the card. I will now shop Albertsons..it will be worth my drive.

58. Jan Semerad 18/07/2013 at 3:07 am

You have me back as a shopper now that Albertson has ended the PREFERRED card system. I always felt it was an insult to shoppers to make us use a card to get the best price. All stores should end this nonsense and simply price their goods accordingly. In particular, your competitor, VONS is extremely irritating to have to go on line and choose which items I might buy to get the VONS “Just for You” price. What a waste of my time. Thank you Albertsons for taking the lead in this. You won my business.

59. Margaret 18/07/2013 at 11:19 pm

I am trying to find my fuel rewards balance. my receipt says go to Albertsons.com/rewardsbalance but I am redirected to Albertsons.com and can not locate anything about fuel rewards. I keep using the card to get the fuel rewards but never know how close I am to earning a reward.

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 11:20 pm

I’m sorry that you’re not able to check your fuel rewards online anymore, Margaret. If you email me at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com or call our Customer Care Center at 1-877-932-7948, we’ll be happy to determine how many rewards and points you have. Please let me know if you need anything else! ~Marie

60. Andy King 19/07/2013 at 3:39 am

I loved the cards and the rewards. I will shift my shopping to Costco, Walmart and others. I will miss your happy employees.

61. Paola 19/07/2013 at 9:06 pm

I started shopping at my local Albertson’s about a year ago when I moved to the neighborhood. The prices have always been higher than other stores, but I shop there out of convenience, therefore I pray the price of a convenience store. Since the no preferred card change, the prices have been hiked up drastically. I had my card taken away and was told that, now everyone can receive discounts (yay) on the day the change happened. I usually buy the same types of food items weekly. When I returned the next day, the salmon I always buy was $2.00 more, so was the shrimp. Not to mention several, other, every day items.
    Yes, the customer service is friendly, as it should be. But friendliness is not enough, when your local store doesn’t have the variety and quality items other stores have, and by charging more. This was the case even before the change, and in addition you raised prices yet again. This has been the conversation within my neighbors, as we now bump into each other shopping at Ralphs and Trader Joe’s. The extra walk, or gas for driving, is well worth it when you saved at least $6.00 on three items alone.
    Not sure how any of these changes benefit your customers, frequent flyers or one time visitors.
    I use a calculator, so I don’t have the wool pulled over my eyes.
    Albertsons is a huge disappointment and offers disservice to it’s customers.

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 11:21 pm

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not finding the value we promised, Paola. I have made our buyers aware of your concerns and they will look into negotiating better deals for our customers. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I hope you have a good rest of your day. ~Marie

62. Dionne 20/07/2013 at 7:34 am

I shop at Albertson’s frequently, and I lost my original card which is neccessary to recieve my gas rewards. How do I get a new one? I use to be able to just give them my telephone number until USA bought out their gas stations.

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 11:05 pm

Sorry for the wait, Dionne. We can still issue out cards, but you have to contact our Customer Care Center at 1-877-932-7948 or you can email me at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com. Either way, we’ll make sure you get a card so you can redeem your gas rewards! I hope to hear from you soon! ~Marie

63. Ricky 23/07/2013 at 7:04 pm

How do I find out what my old card/account number was? I didn’t use the card (just my number) but would like to link it to my savingstar account…

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 10:48 pm

Sorry for the wait there, Ricky. If you email me at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com or call our Customer Care Center at 1-877-932-7948, we should be able to find your card number for you to link with your SavingsStar account. ~Marie

64. ted falkowski 25/07/2013 at 2:33 am

retired from albertsons 11 years ago and live in the high desert in california and most of the stores have closed would still like to shop at albertsons but have no store to go to .will there be any new stores coming to the victorville area

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 10:38 pm

We currently don’t have plans to return to Victorville, CA, Ted. But, I have let our Real Estate team know that you’d love to see us return! Thanks for your years of service at Albertsons and have a great day! ~Marie

65. Mike Salins 26/07/2013 at 9:13 pm

I read in one of the posts where a shopper complained about wanting to swipe their card and one or more of the associates wouldn’t let them. The response from ‘Jana’ was that another conversation would take place to re-educate all employees about the programs still available with the card. All of this took place on 6/19. I was in the store on West Valley parkway in Escondido yesterday 7/25 and the checkout clerk told me I could throw my card away. There’s always 10% that doesn’t get the word.

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 10:22 pm

Thanks for letting us know about this, Mike. I have made the Store Director of that Escondido Albertsons aware of this and we’ll work towards getting the percentage of people who don’t get the word down to 0. Thanks again and have a great day! ~Marie

66. Kathy 01/08/2013 at 6:05 pm

Thank you Albertson’s for taking this step. I wrote to Ralph’s and said I’m opting out of their rewards program and giving my business to Albertson’s now that you’ve done away with your rewards card. I’m tired of my privacy being invaded – nobody needs to know what I’m buying ever just so I can get the best price. So thank you for taking this big step. See you in the market!

67. Lora Mansfield 01/08/2013 at 11:41 pm

Pls allow us to see our fuel points from your website, calling is such a hassle!!!

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 7:37 pm

I’m sorry for the hassle, Lora. Currently, only four of the 13 states in which we are located has fuel rewards, but I’ll let our website team know that you’d love to be able to check your rewards on the website again. Thanks for your feedback! ~Marie

68. Connie Lanter 02/08/2013 at 6:37 pm

Thank you! I can never keep track of those cards! Every grocery store should do this!

69. fred franken 05/08/2013 at 9:31 pm

Gas reward redemption requires a Preferred Savings Card- you cannot claim the discount without a physical card.

So I picked up a card at the store today- can’t find how to link it to my account/phone number anywhere on your site.

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 8:37 pm

Hi Fred! When we merged websites, we dropped the Preferred Card feature since most of our locations don’t use the Preferred Card. You can email us at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com or call our Customer Care number at 1-877-932-7948 and we can link your phone number to your Preferred Card account. We hope to hear from you soon! ~Marie

70. Ginnee 08/08/2013 at 3:11 am

I’m glad to see the card go away, my wallet has too many of them. On the other hand, clipping coupons is a nuisance and I doubt very much if I will do it. Meaning I won’t be shopping at Albertsons.
    Safeway started this card thing years ago, saying using a card would eliminate the need for coupons. But NOW they make us use the card AND clip coupons. No thanks!

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 8:53 pm

Thanks for your feedback, Ginnee. I’m sorry to hear that you won’t be shopping with us because you have to clip coupons. I’ll let our teams know that you’d like to see savings without any hassles (like paper coupons and cards). Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and I hope you check us out again in the future. ~Marie

71. John 18/08/2013 at 8:32 pm

We’ve had a preferred card for years, and we’d like to use for fuel discounts, but our card doesn’t read in the pump, and the local store recommended we get a new card. I don’t want to lose the discounts we have, and am looking on how to register a new card so we can use it for the fuel discounts.

• Customer Care Customer Care 24/08/2013 at 3:16 pm

I can understand that concern, John. We can send out a replacement card with the same number or, if you were given a new card already, we can transfer the rewards from your old card to your new card. You can either email us at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com or call us at 1-877-932-7948 and we’ll set you up! ~Marie

72. Tessa Jochim 20/08/2013 at 9:41 pm

Hello,
    Is there anyway to add my husbands phone number to my card or get him a replacement card for his phone number?

• Customer Care Customer Care 24/08/2013 at 3:32 pm

There sure is, Tess. We can send out a replacement card for your husband, or if you’d rather just put his phone number on your card, we can do that! Just email us at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com or call us at 1-877-932-7948 and we’ll help you out! ~Marie

73. karen l 21/08/2013 at 3:33 pm

I went yesterday to the Albertsons on 3563 Alton Rd in Fort Worth TX and the people there were so rude they wouldn’t take any on the coupons I had which they where only 4 (Fiora paper .55cents) telling me that I was not going to get anything free from this store for me to go somewhere else. so extremely careless from her part to talking to me like that the manager then came in Thomas Paul and told me that everything she was telling me was true. so I left empty handed I when to another Albertson and PAID and used my COUPONS with no problem at all. One thing for sure I wont be returning to that store there are so rude and ignorant. you people should train your employees on how coupons Work…..

• Customer Care Customer Care 24/08/2013 at 3:51 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that the Alton Rd Albertsons would not take your coupons, Karen, and that the associates and manager were rude to you. I have shared this information with the Store Director of that location and he will follow up with you at the email address you provided us upon posting. Thanks for bringing this to our attention and I hope you have a good weekend. ~Marie

74. Scott 24/08/2013 at 5:50 am

I am sorry to see the card go away since that was the only way I could justify to my wife to keep going to Albertsons. She always wants to shop at Walmart because of the lower prices. The card made the Albertsons prices very close to, if not the same as, Walmarts pricing. Without the card stuff is crazy expensive.

• Customer Care Customer Care 24/08/2013 at 4:10 pm

Thank you for your feedback, Scott. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve only seen the prices rise since we got rid of the Preferred Card, as our goal has been to lower prices across the board. I’ve shared your feedback with our teams who will take a serious look into the prices in your area. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and I hope you have a good day. ~Marie

75. StanTheMan 25/08/2013 at 10:40 pm

Albertsons has no clue on what it takes to build loyalty. First it was you’ll never need a card at Alberstons (remember those ads) 2nd it was a card but it doesn’t have to be your phone number or any information about you. 3rd never mind it has to be your phone number with area code. 4th never mind again we’ll give you the new card but it has to be another digit longer that way you will split up your shopping on two cards and miss out on all the extra stuff like the $5 coupons because you used the old number. Now it’s you don’t need the card except for the gas rewards and we won’t remind you to enter it anymore so you can kiss those goodbye too. I can’t wait for the Safeway to open in Poulsbo, WA and kiss your ever changing store off my list of places to shop. At least Safeway is consistent you use the card the same one you’ve had since the beginning add all your coupons from the comfort of any place and get them all when you use your card. Bye bye Joe Alberston.

• Customer Care Customer Care 26/08/2013 at 3:50 pm

Sorry to hear your disappointment, Stan. The change with our preferred card and store offers has been affected by different promotions, store operations, as well as the changes in our parent company. I will be notifying the Store Director of the Poulsbo Albertsons to make them aware that you are not able to take advantage of the Fuel Rewards Program because of the lack in reminders from the cashiers. Feedback is very important to us, so thank you for taking the time to share your concerns; without your comments, we do not know when are customers are having an issue. I hope that any future changes are for the best and that we see you again in our stores. ~Kimberly

76. Nancy Payton 28/08/2013 at 2:46 pm

this is a great decision. I remember ‘back in the day’ that stores just offered deals based on supply/demand, and took money (checks, even!) and all was good. I just moved to a place that is equidistant from a Vons and an Albertsons. Vons’ “just for u” crApp pushed me toward albersons earlier this year. having been a Vons customer for 35 years, i have to say – well done, Albertsons. Getting rid of your loyalty card has gained my loyalty. (plus, i love the store (Coffee Rd, 93308) it has What i Need, and people who seem genuinely happy to help me find it when necessary).

77. Amber 31/08/2013 at 11:20 pm

I am a big fan of Albertson’s and I know a lot of people are glad to be rid of the cards. Having one for sale prices isn’t a lot of help. Having one to load coupons and use with SavingStar would be great and save a lot of time at the register. If I need to go in and it is busy I wouldn’t have to have a cashier ring up each coupon because it would load with my card. I must say that this is one thing that I have learned to appreciate from Safeway. Maybe this is a good option to make both worlds happy?

• Customer Care Customer Care 01/09/2013 at 5:10 pm

Thank you for the great suggestion, Amber! While we don’t have plans to reinstate the Preferred Card, I will share your feedback with our teams for future consideration. Have a great day! ~Marie

78. Scott 02/09/2013 at 7:02 pm

Outstanding move. I’m so frustrated with the “club” card and online “Just for U” program with one of your direct competitors – the effort one has to go through in order to be rewarded for loyalty is insanity. By Alberterson’s making it easy for their shoppers, you have garnered one more customer who used to be loyal to “the other guys”.

79. jennifer 03/09/2013 at 5:48 pm

I want to be able to use e coupons from savings star but i cant figure out how to get a card to be able to.

• Customer Care Customer Care 05/09/2013 at 1:49 am

We’ll be happy to set you up with a card you can use for SavingStar, Jennifer! You can either email us at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com or call 1-877-932-7948 and we’ll get one mailed out to you! I hope to hear from you soon. ~Marie

80. patc 03/09/2013 at 7:05 pm

Since you stopped requiring the cards for savings I have stopped shopping at other stores that require cardsand go exclusively to Albertsons. Have always hated the use of them.

81. Big Data: Growing Pains with Shopper Data | Blog | Quri 04/09/2013 at 5:16 pm

[...] to Christine Wilcox, Communications Director at AB Acquisition’s Albertsons, “Once upon a time, a shopper card set [...]

82. Bill Wilson 06/09/2013 at 10:17 pm

The local Tesora gas station in Spokane has posted a notice that the Fuel Reward card is being discontinued as of 09/10/2013. The notice further states that people should go to http://www.Albertsons.com for more information. I found this help section more by accident than anything because there’s nothing prominently posted on the Albertsons website regarding the status of the fuel rewards program.
    If the Preferred Card program is ending, how will the Fuel Reward program continue since it’s tied to scanning the Preferred Card when you buy groceries then scanning it again to receive the appropriate gas discount when you get gas? Also, what gas stations in the Spokane area will now support the fuel rewards program since Tesoro has ceased participating?
    If Albertsons wants to continue with the fuel rewards program, they should allow people to enter their phone number to get credit like Safeway does when they buy groceries. Safeway’s gas pumps also allow customers to enter their telephone number to receive their fuel reward credit.

• Customer Care Customer Care 08/09/2013 at 5:40 pm

I’m sorry to say, Bill, but Albertsons is discontinuing its Gas Rewards Program entirely in the WA, OR, and Northern ID. The last day to earn rewards wil be 9/10/13 and the last day to redeem will be 10/10/13. Albertsons has committed to lowering prices in its stores. in order to do that for the long term, Albertsons evaluated all the programs that it offered customers and determined that the money spent to offer customers the Gas Rewards Program would be better used toward lowering prices on everyday items in their stores. I’m glad you enjoyed the program and I hope you have a good rest of your day. ~Marie

83. David 08/09/2013 at 4:55 am

Back in November of 2002 I had an exchange with Gina Hansen of Albertsons. I had just found out that my local store was implementing a loyalty card program, and I emailed to let them know that I had purchased a house in the neighborhood in the previous year, and that I would not be shopping with them since the club card was implemented. This was difficult for me since the other major supermarkets are QFC and Safeway, both of which also use cards. I was told a number of benefits of the program, and the privacy policy was sent to me, but none of it addressed my primary issue: Every study done has demonstrated that stores that implement loyalty programs end up more expensive, even with the card.

I regretfully stopped shopping at Albertson’s, just as I had at QFC and Safeway before, and found a couple of local markets that were further away, more expensive and had fewer items, but at least did not penalize me for not wanting to participate in a loyalty card scheme. It hasn’t always been the best, but I felt it important to speak with my wallet about how I felt.

I just found out about this change at Albertsons. I am very happy to hear it, and as soon as I post this I’m going to go take a walk through my store in the Renton Highlands. I’m very glad to have another option, and if the prices are reasonable you will have a loyal customer again.

Thank you for doing the right thing, and choosing not to treat some shoppers as second class.

84. Jenni 11/09/2013 at 4:04 pm

I just recently signed up for Saving Star and want to accumulate points for this program. I use my phone number at the store because I don’t have my card anymore. Is there a way to get a replacement card even though they are not being used anymore so tht I can continue to get points?

• Customer Care Customer Care 14/09/2013 at 7:54 pm

We could send you out a replacement card, or we can send you a Upromise/SavingStar card, Jenni. Please email us at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com and we’ll get you set up with either option. Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon! ~Marie

85. Nigel 12/09/2013 at 8:01 pm

This is FANATASTIC news!

Once upon a time I was an AVID Albertsons customer. Then you started requiring me to carry a card.

You know what? That card was a real pain:

I fumbled in line just so I could find my card.
    It made my wallet even fatter.
    It was ONE MORE thing I had to carry.
    It was ONE MORE thing I had to remember.
    Sometimes I was in a REAL hurry and I forgot my card – so what price was I going to pay??
    Confusing and Frustrating!

What I figured out REAL QUICK was that Wal-Mart was just across the street.
    They didn’t require me to carry anything but money.
    The price listed was the price I paid.
    They worked with me when I was in a hurry…Just like Albertsons USED to be.

The problem? I hate WalMart.
    Now that you have dropped the card, I’ll shop with you.
    HOORAY! Thank you Albertsons!

86. Renee F 21/09/2013 at 3:00 pm

I inadverdently signed up for two preferred card accounts. I want to deactivate the cards. I’m sure it’s not necessary, I can just throw them away, but I want to be out of your system. Please tell me how.

• Customer Care Customer Care 21/09/2013 at 10:08 pm

We’d be able to remove your information, Renee. Could you please email us at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com with your Preferred Card numbers? Once we get this information we’ll get your request processed. Thank you! ~Marie

87. Lori 24/09/2013 at 9:58 pm

So there is some confusion at your stores. I was at the Kennewick, WA Albertson’s last night and from what I’m reading the clerk should have scanned my card after asking me if I was doing the fuel rewards or if my Saving Star account was attached to my card. She did not, she refused my card and said “Oh we don’t use those anymore.” So am I confused or is she? Not a big deal, just wanting to know for the next time.
    Thanks! :)

• Customer Care Customer Care 29/09/2013 at 6:41 pm

The cashier should still swipe your card if you ask them to, Lori. Just to let you know, the last day to earn Fuel Rewards for your area was 9/10/13 and any rewards you have will be good until 10/10/13. Also, to avoid any confusion for the future, we encourage you to get a Upromise/SavingsStar card to use for those two programs. If would like one, please email us at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com or call 1-877-932-7948. ~Marie

88. Barb B 25/09/2013 at 3:59 am

Just heard that the card/phone number will be null and void after midnight tonight in Helena, MT whats up with that? We do use gas rewards so are they gone here to?

Barb

• Customer Care Customer Care 29/09/2013 at 6:53 pm

That is true, Barb, you no longer need to use your card at Albertsons for anything. Starting on October 2nd, Montana customers will get paper coupons for gas rewards at Holiday! The last day to redeem rewards from your Albertsons Preferred Card will be October 31st. We hope you enjoy the new program! ~Marie

89. Layna Maye 28/09/2013 at 5:11 am

We have 5 different cards. Since they are being discontinued. how do we combine them so we can still get fuel points but only use one card?

• Customer Care Customer Care 29/09/2013 at 7:36 pm

We can do that, Layna! Just email us at AlbertsonsHelpers@supervalu.com or call 1-877-932-7948 and someone will be glad to help you combine those cards. Please have all 5 card numbers available so it can be an easy transition. Thank you and we hope to hear from you soon! ~Marie

90. Patti Martinez 01/10/2013 at 4:00 am

I am irritated each time I hear the new commercial…. Shopping “without silly club cards.” In my neighborhood Albertson’s was the supermarket that began the use of club cards in the first place and all but Staters followed the leader. I’m glad the “silly” cards are no longer required and have always shopped my local store, but irritated each time Albertson’s misdirects blame for their use. People and companies should Take responsibility for their own actions.

91. Nick 03/10/2013 at 6:14 pm

This is just stupid. Most people want…
    1. Low prices for everybody,
    2. The fuel savings attached with shopping at your stores and
    3. Convenience.

Now, when I get gas, I must select the pay inside button. Fuel the vehicle. Go stand in line behind 6 or 7 other people to use these paper coupons. And wait.

Why not keep the cards just for the fuel program and give all people the same low prices?

I do have a better option than this inconvenient gas program and will use it if Albertsons doesn’t change.

92. dennis 16/10/2013 at 1:02 pm

i don’t understand do i still earn gas rewards or not. because i used one of your gas stations the other day and didn’t get the rewards off my total gas i purchased, i should have had like .10 cents off a gallon

• Customer Care Customer Care 20/10/2013 at 1:13 pm

Hi Dennis, the Albertsons in the Northwest Division discontinued its gas rewards program on 9/10/13. The last day to redeem rewards was on 10/10/13. I’m sorry for any inconvenience or confusion this has caused, but your Albertsons receipts should have had this information printed on them beginning 9/6/13. Thank you for shopping at Albertsons and I hope you have a good week. ~Marie

93. Read About Retail Intelligence & Analytics | Blog | Quri 17/10/2013 at 10:39 am

94. wholesale ncaa jerseys 17/10/2013 at 5:08 pm

I have got to commend ones own participation on what looks like a preferably rewarding culture for manufacturing films. Such trading of ideas isn’t only healthy, it will be enriching. Read our team has began thinking about

95. Cassie 29/10/2013 at 4:32 pm

My zip code is 83001. are there any fuel reward programs in my area? Thanks.

• Customer Care Customer Care 03/11/2013 at 11:23 am

It doesn’t look like the Albertsons stores in your area participate in any gas rewards programs at this time, Cassie. I’m sorry about that. Thanks for your question and have a great day. ~Marie

96. Peggy 10/11/2013 at 11:45 am

I would love to shop at Albertsons but I find my self in a position where I really must do most of my shopping at a store that offers me discounts on gas also. Are there any fuel rewards programs in my area? zip code 85730 Thank you for your time, Peggy

• Customer Care Customer Care 10/11/2013 at 1:28 pm

I’m sorry, Peggy, but we do not offer any fuel rewards programs in your area. Thanks for your question and for stopping by our blog! ~Marie

97. Mrs. N 08/12/2013 at 9:32 am

Finally! Why can’t we just bring money and get the good price. I’ve been told by other stores it’s because customers demand coupons and loyalty programs. I’m a customer. I hate those things.

98. Lisa 14/12/2013 at 7:03 pm

I used to have an Albertsons card and threw it away since we didn’t need it anymore to get the specials, but now I see I can get Upromise rewards with it but I no longer have it to swipe. Can I get one again and if yes, how? There were some great Upromise e-grocery coupons I’d like to take advantage of.

99. tina 22/01/2014 at 11:57 am

hi my name is tina im going to move and would like to know if you have a store in Tennessee sevierville or the best store in Tennessee to work at thank you tina

• Customer Care Customer Care 25/01/2014 at 2:08 pm

Hi Tina! We actually do not have any Albertsons locations or affiliates in Tennesee. Thank you for working for us and we wish you the best of luck in your move! ~Marie

100. Felicity 23/01/2014 at 10:39 pm

Is there any way I can still get a card to load coupons from savingstar?

101. Maureen K 03/02/2014 at 5:59 pm

Hi! That’s great that we don’t need a card for savings but as long as I need it for fuel rewards here in Boise, ID I will continue to swipe it. However, once in a rare while I forget to offer my card, and since the checkers no longer ask for it, I miss on the savings. On one of my recent shopping trips, an employee said as long as I have my receipt I can go to the website and input the info there for credit. Is that true? I’m not able to find where I can do that. Thanks for your help!

• Customer Care Customer Care 04/02/2014 at 5:13 am

Hey there, Maureen. If you happen to not have your card swiped during a transaction, we would be more than happy to add your purchase so that you can receive your gas points. All we’d need to know is the date/time, purchase amount,store location visted, and card number. You can email me at AlbertsonsHelprs@albertsons.com , and I can add your purchase for you. Have a great day! ~Cindy

102. Larry 05/02/2014 at 5:49 pm

Thank you for continuing to support UPromise and your other programs through the Preferred Savings Card. However, like many of the other folks that have posted previously, I still have trouble convincing the store personnel that scanning the card still has value for these other programs. I think they are bothered that some of us want to scan our cards and try thier hardest to complete the transaction before we can. They insists is does not good and I should not bother. I have earned a lot for my child’s education through UPromise and like getting catalinas taylored to my shopping experience. Please remind, yet again, you stores that these extra programs are important to us. Also, as an aside, please bring back the Community Partners program in So Cal. We really miss it. Thanks!

103. Marketing 26/02/2014 at 11:48 pm

Howdy! This article could not be written any better! Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He continually kept preaching about this. I’ll send this article to him. Fairly certain he’ll have a good read. I appreciate you for sharing!|

104. Janet 17/04/2014 at 2:00 am

I agree with Larry about UPromise and Community Partners programs. If you really want to save money and time (which is money) why not do away with the silly promotions and contests. Stop printing the Monopoly tickets and paper coupons. Save money and paper by not printing things that do get thrown away and use that savings to lower prices. Stop wasting your cashiers time to take extra time to count out Monopoly tickets while people waste time waiting in line. Pass that savings on to the customer and the community partners. Don’t do away with worthy causes such as UPromise and Community Partners. I’ve asked my friends if they shop at Alberstons because of the contests and promotions and all said NO, only because of proximity never because of the contests. Show us that you really care about the customers and community. Give us the things that really matter, low prices, supporting the youth through UPromise and Community Partners, not wasteful contests and paper coupons.

105. Britton 21/04/2014 at 7:46 am

Hi there, I have an Albertsons gift card that I want to use but I don’t know how to find my card number and also the pin number? Can anyone help?

• Customer Care Customer Care 21/04/2014 at 5:11 pm

Hi, Britton. You can find the 19 digit card number on the back starting with a 603. The store will be able to swipe the card for you to use any balance or manually enter the card number/pin if needed. If you need further assistance please email us at AlbertsonsHelprs@albertsons.com. ~Victor

106. lina mam 04/05/2014 at 1:23 am

hi my name is lina i wand to apply for peferred card

• Customer Care Customer Care 04/05/2014 at 3:18 am

Hello, Lina. If you are in an area that is still accepting Preferred Cards then we would be happy to issue one out to you. Please e-mail us at AlbertsonsHelprs@albertsons.com with your contact information. We await your e-mail. ~Stephanie

107. Elizabeth 11/05/2014 at 11:12 pm

How do I go about getting the mailer sent to my house? We have stopped receiving it and I am missing out on coupons that are not available at the store.

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/05/2014 at 11:19 pm

I’d be happy to send a request to have you added, Elizabeth. All I’d need to know is your mailing address, and preferred store location. You can email me directly at AlbertsonsHelprs@albertsons.com . I look forward to hearing from you soon, thanks! ~Cindy

108. Amanda 11/06/2014 at 9:05 am

What if i want an albertsons card because I am signed up for Saving Star and I no longer have my old card?

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/06/2014 at 3:26 pm

We actually have cards specific to SavingStar and Upromise which we can send out to customers like you, Amanda! If you would like one, please email me at AlbertsonsHelprs@albertsons.com with your mailing address and I’ll make sure you get one. Thank you for shopping at Albertsons and I hope to hear from you soon. ~Marie