Albertsons to Host Hatch Chile Roasting Event at Select Locations

Jul 25th, 2013

green chili peppers on a grill

FULLERTON, CA (July 23, 2013) – Good news foodies: Hatch chili season has arrived and Albertsons is celebrating the occasion with eleven one-day Saturday Hatch Chile roasting events at select Southern California store locations starting August third through September 7. The outdoor roasting and sales will begin at 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. and while supplies last.
Considered New Mexico’s preeminent chili pepper, Hatch Chiles are favored across the country in restaurants that serve spicy Southwestern cuisine.
Hatch Chile aficionados can pick up a 30 lb. sack for $34.99, roasting included. Customers will be limited to ten sacks per person on a first-come, first-served basis. While each participating Albertsons location has three or more roasters operating simultaneously, the customer wait time in line could be up to 60 minutes.
Food connoisseurs wait patiently for these delicacies to add them to their salsas, sauces, casseroles, stir-fries, enchiladas, soufflés, and omelets or just about anything they want to heat up. Chiles are most often eaten green as a vegetable. When picked green, it’s called the long green Hatch Chile. Ripened, it’s known as the long red Hatch Chile.

Hatch Chile Roasting Sales Schedule:

Saturday, August 10th:

• Montebello Albertsons – 2469 Via Campo at Wilcox – Phone: 323.888.2250
  • Bakersfield Albertsons – 2691 Mt. Vernon at Columbus – Phone: 661.872.3511

Friday, August, 16th:

• 8410 Farm Rd., Las Vegas, NV 89139 – 8am-6pm

Saturday, August 17th:

• Rancho Cucamonga Albertsons – 8850 Foothill Blvd. at Vineyard – Phone: 909.484.7237
  • Chula Vista Albertsons – 720 3rd Ave at J Street – Phone: 619.498.5160

• 7350 S. Rainbow Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89139

Saturday, August 31st:

• Whittier Albertsons – 13003 Whittier Blvd. at Greenleaf – Phone: 562.696.5025
  • Arcadia Albertsons – 298 E. Live Oak Ave at Tyler – Phone: 626.446.1416

Saturday, September 7th:

• Buena Park Albertsons – 8880 Valley View at Lincoln – Phone: 714.236.8200
  • Blythe Albertsons – 840 E. Hobson Way – 840 E. Hobson Way – Phone: 760.922.4099

For more details about the Albertsons/Lucky Hatch Chile roasting events listed, contact the individual store directors.

Media Contact:
Lilia Rodriguez, Albertsons So Cal Division
Lilia.Rodriguez@albertsons.com
Cell: 714.306.5408

66 Responses to Albertsons to Host Hatch Chile Roasting Event at Select Locations

1. Mindy McCasland 31/07/2013 at 7:32 pm

Will there be Las Vegas locations doing the Hatch Chile roasting this year?

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 7:20 pm

You may already know, but yes, we will be hosting the event at a few Las Vegas location, Mindy. While two events have already passed, we still have an event at 8401 Farm Rd on August 16th and 17th, and our last event at 7350 S Rainbow on August 30th and 31st. I hope you can make it! ~Marie

2. Jackie Varpula 01/08/2013 at 1:50 am

I would like to see Italian frying peppers in the
    Las Vegas NV stores please.

• Jana 01/08/2013 at 8:10 pm

Thank you for taking the time to tell us Jackie! We’ll be sure to pass this information along to your Las Vegas stores. ~Jana

3. sandy trujillo 01/08/2013 at 2:01 am

I see times and locations for California and Nevada. Any plans to come to Boise, Idaho?

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 6:38 pm

We don’t have any plans to come to Boise this year, Sandy, but I will let our teams know Hatch Chili Roastings are wanted in Idaho! Have a great day! ~Marie

4. Iris Iglehart 01/08/2013 at 3:20 am

Please, Please, Please set up a time here in the Steilacoom Washington Albertsons, or allow people to order bags and get them shipped to the store. I alone would get 2 bags, certainly there are others, I am from N.M. and so miss that chili, maybe you could even sell the frozen I would go for that too. Thank You Iris

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 6:38 pm

Hello Iris! We select a few stores every year to do the hatch chili roastings, and many times, they’re different each year. I’ll let our teams know that you’d love to see the Hatch Chili Roastings come up to Washington, especially the Steilacoom Albertsons. Thanks for your suggestion and have a great day! ~Marie

5. sissy munoz 01/08/2013 at 12:57 pm

I would like to know when you will have green chili in santa fe,nm.87501… I shop at the ALBERTSONS AT THE DE VARGES MALL.. THANK YOU SISSY

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 6:39 pm

We won’t be doing any Hatch Chili Roastings in New Mexico this year, Sissy, but I’ll let our teams know that there is interest in Santa Fe! Thanks for stopping by! ~Marie

6. Robles Richard 01/08/2013 at 1:55 pm

Hey, what about us folks in the South Bay? Torrance, San Pedro, etc.

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 6:40 pm

Looks like the South Bay wasn’t included this time around, Robles. We select a small group of stores every year, so I’ll let our teams know the South Bay Area wants some Hatch Chili Roastings, too. Thank you! ~Marie

7. John Clendenin 01/08/2013 at 4:39 pm

What about Arizona?
    Retired Albertsons employee..

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 6:40 pm

Sorry, John, but we currently do not have plans have Hatch Chili Roastings in Arizona. I’ll let our teams know that there’s an interest, though! ~Marie

8. Art Pineda 01/08/2013 at 4:47 pm

Why not Aurora Colorado their are plenty of Mexican people that live here. Seeing how Albertson’s always promotes Mild hot salsa in their stores.
    This is an insult to Colorado!!!
    Art Pineda

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 6:41 pm

We definitely don’t mean to insult anyone, Art! Historically, we’ve had the Hatch Chili Roastings in Southern California and Las Vegas, but I’ll be sure to let our teams know you’d love to see an event in Aurora, Colorado. ~Marie

9. Andi Moore 01/08/2013 at 6:17 pm

Are you going to be anywhere in San Diego County?

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 6:41 pm

Looks like the only San Diego County event will be in Chula Vista on August 17th, Andi. I hope that helps! ~Marie

10. Teresa Reyes 01/08/2013 at 7:14 pm

How about adding the Diamond Bar Albertson’s location?

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 7:20 pm

Hey Teresa! Every year, we pick a small handful of stores to host this event, and generally, they are different stores every year. I’ll be sure to let our teams know you’d like to see Diamond Bar on the list for next year. Thanks for commenting and have a great day! ~Marie

11. Jeannie 02/08/2013 at 1:18 am

When will the Hatch Green Chili’s be available in Grand Junction Colorado?

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 8:07 pm

Usually, we only have the Hatch Chili Roastings in Southern California and Las Vegas, Jeanne. I will let our teams know that you’d love to see the Hatch Chili Roastings in Grand Junction, CO in the future, though. Have a great day! ~Marie

12. brigitte 03/08/2013 at 4:29 am

I just wanted to confirm that date quoted on the web site- Buena Park Albertsons – 8880 Valley View at Lincoln – Phone: 714.236.8200??? Sounded too good to be true!

13. Cindy 03/08/2013 at 6:02 pm

The store at 8410 Farm rd will be roasting chiles Friday August 16th from 2pm till 10pm. Beat the heat!

14. Hatch Chile Season 2013 | DailyWaffle 03/08/2013 at 9:06 pm

[...] Albertson’s (Los Angeles-area & Las Vegas) [...]

15. Ian Silva 05/08/2013 at 11:54 am

I buy at least one case every year sometimes two cases! I’m from NM and now live in Montana so getting fresh Hatch green chili is not easy! I roast it in my BBQ grill then peel and freeze it for the year to come!

16. travis 05/08/2013 at 3:17 pm

what about in texas stores DFW area?

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 8:08 pm

We don’t have any Hatch Chile Roasting events planned for the DFW area this year, Travis, but I’ll let our teams know that there is an interest! Thank you! ~Marie

17. shawn 05/08/2013 at 9:43 pm

I LOVE THIS TIME OF THE YEAR! Thanks for putting up this schedule.

18. David Alegria 06/08/2013 at 8:17 pm

Are there any other days of the year that you have the Hatch chili roasting or is this a one time annual thing? Also, I was lucky to catch these dates, but is it possible for you to give me some kind of heads up on future dates?

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 8:08 pm

Hello David! These annual events are usually held throughout the month of August, usually on Fridays and Saturdays for Las Vegas locations, and Saturdays only for Southern California locations. We still have three weekends left and you can check the main post for those dates and locations. I’m glad you were able to catch some chiles! ~Marie

19. Maya J. 07/08/2013 at 1:57 am

Are these chilis Hot?

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 8:09 pm

Hatch Chiles can range from mild to hot, Maya, with the hotter varieties being spicier than a jalapeño. Roasting them tends to mellow the spiciness and they are delicious in salsa! ~Marie

20. Erik T. 07/08/2013 at 3:13 pm

Where’s the Texas locations? :( I’m from NM and I need my green chile fix!!! The hotter the better!

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 8:09 pm

Hi Erik. We don’t have any Texas dates this year, as this is historically a Southern California and Las Vegas event. However, I will let our teams know that you’re craving some chiles so they can consider expanding this next year. Thanks for stopping by! ~Marie

21. Glenn 10/08/2013 at 1:27 am

Can you provide the time for the hatch roasting at the Chula Vista store on Saturday August 17? Al;so, does one have to reserve a spot? I have others in my family who would like to attend and purchase the chilis.
    Also, could a roasting be scheduled fot the Temecula CA area in the future as there arte others who would like to attend but the distance is too great for the existing sites?

• Customer Care Customer Care 11/08/2013 at 8:10 pm

The roasting starts around the time the store opens, Glenn! No reservations needed, but it is recommended that you get there early. These events are popular! Regarding having an event in Temecula, we pick a handful of stores each year, usually different from the last, so I’ll let our teams know that you’d like to see an event in Temecula next year. Thanks for your questions! ~Marie

22. Henry Redondo 10/08/2013 at 7:35 pm

Thanks for having the New Mexico Chili sales and Roast at Albertsons, it is so much more cost and time efficient. We use to buy the sacks of chili of the back of U-Haul trucks and have to roast them ourselves on several BBQ’s which took allot of hours to do, now we meet at a Albertsons store, buy and have the chili prep in ten minutes instead of several hours. this means now we can have a BBQ, a few beverages and catch up on the current times with the extra time ….Thanks Again !

23. Sarah 13/08/2013 at 1:50 am

Any chance you roast any in Washington state?

• Customer Care Customer Care 20/08/2013 at 2:00 am

We won’t be hosting any Hatch Chile Roasting events in Washington State this year, Sarah. But, I’ll let our coordinators know that you’d love to see the event in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks for stopping by! ~Marie

24. Joe Lopez 13/08/2013 at 3:14 am

Cindy 03/08/2013 at 6:02 pm
    Where in Buena Park is Abertsons at 8410
    Farm RD.

• Customer Care Customer Care 20/08/2013 at 2:00 am

Hey Joe, the 8410 Farm Rd Albertsons is actually in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Albertsons in Buena Park that will be hosting a Hatch Chile Roasting event is at 8880 Valley View St, and it will be September 7th. I hope to see you there! ~Marie

25. Danny Chavez Sr 13/08/2013 at 6:36 pm

Hatch chili is the best. It’s even better when you have been to Hatch and see them in the fields and then picked and roasted. It gives you a much better appreciation of what it takes to grow and harvest the crop. Viva New Mexico Chili Verde!!!

26. Gary van der Steur 14/08/2013 at 11:02 pm

Who’s the supplier this year at the Arcadia Albertson’s on the 31st?

• Customer Care Customer Care 20/08/2013 at 8:07 pm

Hey there, Gary. I have an answer to your question. The vendor for the Arcadia event this year is going to be Borg Produce. Let me know if there is anything else we can do for you and thanks for posting! ~Casey

27. Sonia Rodriguez 15/08/2013 at 5:52 pm

Any thought into coming to Santa Maria, CA. I drive 3 to 3.5 hours to get some in the Los Angeles are coming from Arroyo Grande, CA. I know they would sell. Please look into this for next year or this year if not too late. Thank you!

• Customer Care Customer Care 20/08/2013 at 2:18 am

We’ll definitely consider it, Sonia! We usually choose different locations to host a Hatch Chile Roasting event every year, so I’ll let our coordinators know you’d like to see one in Santa Maria in the future. Thanks for stopping by! ~Marie

28. Amy 20/08/2013 at 3:02 pm

I look forward to this every year! I am a New Mexico Native. Born in Carlsbad New Mexico, Live in Anaheim and cant wait for Hatch season every year! Thank you for bring a little bit of home to me! Will see you at the Buena Park location on the 7th of Sept!

29. mary 21/08/2013 at 8:25 pm

Hi there,

I’m hoping for a roasting event in the Seattle area. I see your ads showing cases of fresh Hatch chiles available, but I would love to find them roasted. Just takes too long to roast my yearly supply of 100 pounds.

• Customer Care Customer Care 24/08/2013 at 3:52 pm

Hi Mary, we don’t have plans to do a Hatch Chile Roasting in or around Seattle this year. I have shared your interest with our teams so maybe we an bring this fun event to your neck of the woods next year. Thanks for your question and enjoy your chiles! ~Marie

30. Diane 31/08/2013 at 5:36 pm

Just wondering… with so many people wanting a Hatch Chile Roast at their local Albertson’s, why are only a handful of stores selected each year? We LOVE when Hatch Chiles are available in our local store but, sadly, are not always close enough to a roasting event to go.

• Customer Care Customer Care 03/09/2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks for your question Diane! We only have enough equipment to roast chilies at two stores in Southern California and one in Las Vegas at a time. Also, the Hatch Chile season only lasts a handful of weeks, so we can’t get to every store during the season. I hope that helps explain why we limit the number of stores for now. Our teams definitely know customers in other areas are interested in having events, so it is being considered. Thank you and have a great day! ~Marie

31. Geri Marshall 06/09/2013 at 7:53 am

I Just moved to Whittier this week. I need to know where I can get 2 sacks of chili roasted, or do I need to buy them at Albertsons? Do you have any left?
    lease ;et me know, I’m desperate!!!

• Customer Care Customer Care 08/09/2013 at 5:09 pm

Well, I got good news and bad news, Geri. The Whittier Albertsons does still have Hatch Chiles for sale, however their roasting event was back on August 31st. Please let me know if you need anything else! ~Marie

32. Steve 10/09/2013 at 3:50 am

Are there any Albertsons in Southern California scheduled for Hatch chili roasting after today (Sep. 09, 2013)?????????????????

• Customer Care Customer Care 14/09/2013 at 6:56 pm

The last day we offered Hatch Chile Roasting was on September 7th at our Blythe and Buena Park Albertsons stores. I’m sorry if you missed out, Steve, but I hope we see you next time! ~Marie

33. Judy challenger 13/09/2013 at 7:23 am

I can’t find any hatch chile in Ventura CA. HELP!!!

• Customer Care Customer Care 14/09/2013 at 8:23 pm

I’m sorry that your local Albertsons doesn’t have any more Hatch Chiles, Judy. Unfortunately, these chiles are very popular and are all sold out. We are unable to order any more this season. We hope to see you next year! ~Marie

34. Ann 20/09/2013 at 5:58 am

We are neighbors to NM. Pls try having a roast here in AZ. Phoenix o.k. but east valley would be nice.
    Thank you much.

• Customer Care Customer Care 21/09/2013 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for that suggestion, Ann! I’ve shared it with our teams for future consideration of our Hatch Chile Roasting events. Have a great day! ~Marie

35. Sharan 16/10/2013 at 4:19 pm

PLEASE! PLEASE! Come to Washington State!! Olympia/Tumwater preferably! We like chili as much as we like coffee and sunglasses!

• Customer Care Customer Care 20/10/2013 at 1:13 pm

Thanks for the request, Sharan! I’ll let our teams know you’d like to see Hatch Chiles in Washington in the future. Have a great day! ~Marie

36. mariah 11/02/2014 at 12:09 pm

pleas please please come to monterey ca or santa cruz ca or even salinas ca!!…its a very hispanic area and lots of farmers and stands! but we need to have roasting hatch green chilies here!!! please!!! you have no idea how many people are asking for them in my area! please consider!

• Customer Care Customer Care 13/02/2014 at 1:34 pm

We are always honored when we get invites like these, Mariah! I will make sure to forward your request to our Real Estate Department for consideration, and thank you for taking the time to post! ~Shasta

37. jose valadez 12/04/2014 at 11:54 am

any new Hatch Chile Roasting event in s California coming? thank you

• Customer Care Customer Care 13/04/2014 at 10:36 pm

Hey there, Jose. We don’t have any details available quite yet. I’d recommend keeping an eye on the weekly ad. Have a good day! ~Cindy