Coming Soon – Roasted Hatch Chiles to So. California!

Lilia Rodriguez

Jul 24th, 2014

Hatch Chiles on sale at So. Cal Albertsons

Since the middle of June, the So Cal Albertsons Produce team has been inundated with emails and phone messages from regional foodies eager to find out details about the 2014 Hatch Roast Chile sale. Wait no more, people! The schedule has just been announced and participating Albertsons store teams are off and running with plans to make this year’s event bigger and better.

Albertsons customers will have their choice of 12 Saturdays to get their Hatch Chile roast on! Starting August 3 through September 6 at select  So Cal stores, the outdoor roasting and sales will begin at 8 a.m. and conclude at 2 p.m. and while supplies last. Die-hard Hatch Chile aficionados have been known to start lining up as early as 6 a.m. Please keep in mind that while each participating Albertsons location has three or more roasters operating simultaneously and we do our best to get you on your way, the customer wait time may be up to 60 minutes.

Hatch Chile fans can pick up a 30 lb. sack for $29.99, roasting included. Customers will be limited to ten sacks per person on a first-come, first-served basis. For those not interested buying in large quantities and wanting to roast their chilies at home, pick up your supply by the bag ($1.29 a lb.) in the store’s Produce Dept.

Considered New Mexico’s preeminent chile pepper, Hatch Chiles are favored across the country in restaurants that serve spicy Southwestern cuisine.

Food connoisseurs wait patiently for these delicacies to add them to their salsas, sauces, casseroles, stir-fries, enchiladas, souffles, and omelets or just about anything they want to heat up. Chiles are most often eaten green as a vegetable. When picked green, it’s called the long green Hatch Chile. Ripened, it’s known as the long red Hatch Chile.

Hatch Chile Roasting Sales Schedule:
Saturday, August 2 –
• Alhambra Albertsons – 2400 W. Commonwealth – Phone: 626.293.7100
• Chula Vista Albertsons – 720 3rd Ave at J Street – Phone: 619.498.5160
Saturday, August 9
• La Habra Albertsons – 1800 W. Whittier Blvd. at Beach – Phone: 562.697.6442
• Bakersfield Albertsons – 2691 Mt. Vernon at Columbus – Phone: 661.872.3511
Saturday, August 16 -
• Rancho Cucamonga Albertsons – 8850 Foothill Blvd. at Vineyard – Phone: 909.484.7237
• Arcadia Albertsons – 298 E. Live Oak Ave at Tyler – Phone: 626.446.1416
Saturday, August 23-
• Costa Mesa Albertsons – 2300-C Harbor Blvd. at Wilson – Phone: 949.515.7227
• Carpinteria Albertsons – 1018 Casitas Pass Road at Carpinteria – Phone: 805.684.2731
Saturday, August 30-
• Reseda Albertsons – 19307 Saticoy St. at Tampa – Phone: 818.772.0010
• Montebello Albertsons – 2469 Via Campo at Wilcox – Phone: 323.888.2250
Saturday, September 6-
• Temecula Albertsons – 31960 Temecula Parkway at Margarita Road – Phone: 951.303.1133
• Escondido Albertsons – 1509 East Valley Parkway at Rose – Phone: 760.735.5163

For more details about the 2014 So Cal Albertsons Hatch Chile roasting events listed, contact the individual store directors.

33 Responses to Coming Soon – Roasted Hatch Chiles to So. California!

1. Luarline Jennings 09/07/2014 at 4:48 pm

Will this program be available at out local Albertson’s?
    I don’t see it listed and this is one of our favorite chilies and we would like to participate in this yearly project.

• Lilia Lilia 09/07/2014 at 5:11 pm

Hi Luarline – Thanks for your inquiry. The stores listed on this calendar are the only Southern California stores that will be hosting Hatch Chile sales in August and Sept. If your local Albertsons isn’t noted, I’m hoping you live close enough (to one of these other locations)to purchase your supply.

2. jodie henry 10/07/2014 at 8:25 am

will any Washington stores be included this year?

Thanks!

• Lilia Lilia 10/07/2014 at 12:34 pm

Hi Jodie – I’m not sure as I work for Albertsons Southern California Division; however, I’ll forward your question and email address to my PR colleague in our Northwest Division and I know he’ll respond to you directly.

3. Cindy 10/07/2014 at 5:17 pm

We ordered and paid for ahead of time last year. Will that still be available or is it actually on
    first come first serve basis?

• Lilia Lilia 10/07/2014 at 5:28 pm

Hi Cindy – Hmmm, good question, let me ask. Tell me, which Albertsons sale event did you attend and purchase your supply from last year?

4. Cindy 10/07/2014 at 5:36 pm

I believe Arcadia, but I will be doing Montebello this year

5. marybelle 22/07/2014 at 12:15 pm

Thank you Albertsons. Its been a family tradition waiting in line to buy our bags. Cant wait. :)

6. rosie 23/07/2014 at 1:16 pm

can a customer request different levels of heat per sack hot, xhot, mild, med., etc? Thank you

• Lilia Lilia 23/07/2014 at 6:09 pm

Hi Rosie – I recommend you check with the store director where you anticipate buying your Chile. Last year I recall seeing sacks that were labeled mild, medium and hot, good luck!

7. Paul Snapp 24/07/2014 at 10:00 am

It mentions in the article above that if one want to buy a smaller amount one can buy the unroasted chiles for $1.29 in the store. Is that all Albertsons or only the stores listed above? Thank you.

• Lilia Lilia 24/07/2014 at 10:33 am

Good morning Paul, okay, I just checked with the produce dept. team. While not all Albertsons stores are hosting outdoor roastings, their product depts. will carry them in smaller quantities as noted.

8. Paul Snapp 24/07/2014 at 11:06 am

Thank you, Lilia.

9. marybelle 26/07/2014 at 1:01 pm

First of all Lilia. Thank you for your time in answering each question. I was surprised to see you answered every posted question. Now mine please. Is there a listing for san gabriel valley stores? Will I be able to pre order The hottest chilies? Will there be a sack limit?

• Lilia Lilia 29/07/2014 at 12:42 pm

Hi Marybelle – Thanks, I try to respond as quickly as I would via the phone but at times (like today) there are many distractions. According to my list, there are no San Gabriel Albertsons participating in this year’s sale; however, the Alhambra Albertsons is set to host the first sale this Sat., Aug 2nd. They’re located at 2400 W.Commonwealth. The other ‘nearby’ store (depending upon where you live) is the Montebello Albertsons (2469 Via Campo) and their sale is set for Sat., Aug 30th. Your best bet is to call the stores individually to ask about pre-orders. The sack limit is 10 per person, I believe. But I would also verify this with the store director – good luck!

10. Gary Dibble 29/07/2014 at 10:49 am

Why isn’t Albertsons selling Hatch peppers in Las Vegas, NV this year? Would you please forward this to someone that can explain. Preferrably the Southern Nevada Albertsons General Manager.

Gary Dibble

• Lilia Lilia 29/07/2014 at 12:45 pm

Hi Gary – Unfortunately, I can’t answer that question directly as I work for the Southern California Division; however, I will forward it on to my colleague in the Southwest Division with a request for a response to your email.

• Customer Care Customer Care 30/07/2014 at 3:42 pm

Hi Gary, the Albertsons located on 7350 S Rainbow Blvd in Las Vegas will have the Roasted Hatch Chiles on August 30th and 31st. We hope to see you there! ~Cristina

11. Frances 11/08/2014 at 2:30 pm

I thought I saw somewhere that they are roasting in Whittier CA, but I did not see it listed. Can you confirm that Whittier Albertson’s will have roasting?

• Lilia Lilia 11/08/2014 at 2:45 pm

Hi Frances, no, there are no Albertsons roastings scheduled in Whittier as the store that we once operated there is now closed; however, the next closest store hosting an event is in Montebello. Located at 2469 Via Campo and Wilcox (right off the 60 freeway) the sale is set for Sat. Aug 30th. If you live nearby, I hope you can make it!

12. Walter Frey 12/08/2014 at 10:45 am

Will you have different flavors available, as in “Mild”, “Medium”, “Medium Hot”, and “Hot”?

• Lilia Lilia 12/08/2014 at 11:09 am

Good morning Walter – To be sure, I recommend you contact the Albertsons store hosting the Hatch Chile event and ask the store director. I included phone numbers and addresses for all of the participating stores, good luck!

13. Todd 14/08/2014 at 1:15 pm

Hello and thank you for the good information. I’ll be heading over to get some this Saturday, August 16. As there have been several events already, do you know if they have been selling out, or, regardless of wait time, most all have been served? Thanks again!

• Customer Care Customer Care 14/08/2014 at 3:37 pm

We’re happy to hear you’ll be heading over this Saturday for the chiles, Todd! I’d be happy to contact the store for you to see about these details with the event. Will you be heading to the store on Foothill blvd or the location on Live Oak Ave? ~Shasta

14. Todd 14/08/2014 at 3:55 pm

Thanks – looking forward to it. We’ll be going to the Arcadia location (Live Oak) I don’t mind getting there early, but I also don’t mind waiting if I go an hour or two after it starts, as long as I get some!

• Customer Care Customer Care 15/08/2014 at 8:13 am

Great question, Todd. We don’t have specifics on how many pounds of chiles have been sold and customers served, but we do recommend getting to the event early. It starts at 6am while supplies last. Enjoy! ~Marie

15. Katie 19/08/2014 at 1:16 pm

Please please bring the roasting events up the coast a bit! My closest store is in Carpinteria -a two and a half hour drive south! My solution was to have my daughter pick them up for me in Arcadia. Also double check the recipes Albertson’s handed out, the cornbread recipe is faulty! Seems to be lacking 1 cup of all purpose flour!

• Lilia Lilia 19/08/2014 at 1:21 pm

Hi Kate, thank-you for catching that error in the recipe and for sharing your request to have a future roasting event in the central coast area. I’m glad you were still able to secure your supply this year. I will definitely pass on the request to the produce team.

16. Silvia Mac 09/09/2014 at 3:31 pm

Wow. What a great Marketing Idea. Whoever thought of this is trully listening to the huge Latino customer base. I attended the Montebello roasting and all I can say is YUMMM! Just wish we could have been able to reserve our batch the day before, then at our convenience, come back on roasting day and pick up our delicious chile. The line was about 2-3 blocks long in Montebello, in 95 degreees! Great Job with for first time, lots of room for improvement. Thank you all the same.

• Lilia Lilia 09/09/2014 at 3:36 pm

Silvia – I’m so glad you had the chance to make it out to our Montebello store and secure your own supply of Hatch Chili. We look forward to seeing and serving you again.

17. Dawn Negrete 14/09/2014 at 11:31 am

Will they be roasting in Las Vegas this year?

• Customer Care Customer Care 14/09/2014 at 1:14 pm

Hi Dawn, the Hatch Chile Roasters were in Las Vegas on 8/30 and 8/31. We hope to see you next year! ~Zachary