Picnic Hacks from Annessa Chumbley
Jul 21st, 2014
At Albertsons, summer means picnics!
The very essence of a picnic is to be out enjoying nature and enjoying people, so you might not want to spend exhausting money or time in preparation. Keep it simple. We all have differing picnic personalities, so below you’ll find some tips for picnic hacks (short- cuts) based on the type of picnic person you are.
Remember…picnics are all about making a summer memory, so keep the memories large and the prep time short!
The Simple & Sophisticated Picnic
The simple and sophisticated picnic is often done while listening to music under the stars. Cold red and green grapes, fresh vegetable slices, pita chips, and fancy dips should be included at this picnic! Here’s some tips to make it quicker:
- Ice Twice: put your ice cubes in zip-top bags to package for your picnic. Then you can get double use out of it: first to keep your food items cold, and then use it to fill those glasses for delicious upscale drinks.
- The Chicken-Salad Short Cut: stop by the grocery after a busy day from work and pick up a rotisserie chicken. Quickly shred to make a delicious chicken salad.
Our favorite recipe for Rotisserie Chicken Salad is here!
The Presentation Piece: a little bit of presentation is a short cut that goes a long way! Grapes and variety of cheeses on a clean wooden cutting board is a must.
The Solo Picnic
Picnics by oneself are for absorbing nature, relaxation, and some quiet time away from life. A great moment to reflect & read a good book. Get out into nature faster and simpler!
- Mason Jar Meal: take a meal for one on-the-go by putting it all in one jar. Quick, easy, and quite beautiful.
- The Multi-Purpose Blanket: put a large trash bag under the blanket to keep any dampness on the ground from seeping through, and also keep the bugs out. Then, use the same trash bags to clean your picnic afterwards.
Get ideas like this one and more from Pinterest here!
The Classic Picnic
Classic picnics are those of big food, big fun, lots of people, picnic tables, tablecloths and the works.
- Short Cut Sides: don’t spend a lot of time cooking! These two sides pack a ton of flavor, and take little effort to make.
Get the recipe here
Pin it here
Pin it here
This picnic is to make a memory with the kids! It doesn’t matter where it is: in your own backyard, at a rest stop while traveling, etc. The point is to be frugal, be fun, be fast, and make that memory!
- - The Perfect Picnic Place: your own back yard. Start to see your surroundings in a different way, and you’ll save time, save money, and your kids will love it just as much.
- - Repackage Leftovers: make last night’s meal extra special just by packaging it a different way. Place in plastic containers in a picnic basket, and your kids will love it. It’s a great way to change up the routine.
- - The Multi-Purpose Blanket: put a large trash bag under the blanket to keep any dampness on the ground from seeping through, and also keep the bugs out. Then, use the same trash bags to clean your picnic afterwards.