Grilled Watermelon | The Fruit of Summer Gets a Makeover! From Annessa Chumbley
Jul 2nd, 2014
“WHAT?” You say? How could we mess with summer’s best fruit? You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how grilling really does make everything better, including watermelon.
Grilling Watermelon Tips:
- Make sure your grill is medium-high to high. You don’t want to cook your watermelon, you simply want to give it nice, delicious grill marks that will be packed with flavor. A couple of minutes on each side should do the trick.
- Cut them into “steaks” (thick slices) to put on the grill; after that either serve or cut into cubes for other uses.
- Sprinkle on flavor! Make a mixture of lime zest, a little chili powder & sea salt; sprinkle on after grillin’.
- Brush on honey mixed with freshly squeezed lime juice or the juice of an orange – sprinkle on chopped mint after grilling
Here are some great ways to use your grilled watermelon!
- Salad: combine chunks of watermelon right off the grill, a drizzle of balsamic syrup (or dressing), some salty feta and thinly sliced basil. So good, you’ll keep going back for more.
- Salsa: after grilling watermelon, dice it into small cubes, and toss with diced yellow bell pepper, diced cucumber, diced red onion, 1/2 diced jalapeño, sliced green onion, fresh lime juice, a little salt, a little local honey and some fresh cilantro or basil. GREAT on fish (especially fish tacos!), even delicious on chicken. Switch up the recipe by adding grilled diced peaches to the mix.
- Dressing: after grilling watermelon, toss 1/2 cup of grilled watermelon cubes into the blender with a couple of tablespoons of honey, a splash of white vinegar, a sprinkle salt, some lemon zest and juice. Let whirl in blender, then drizzle on a spinach salad with strawberries, toasted almonds, and roquefort cheese.
- Dessert: um, can we just say that almost anything goes good with vanilla bean ice cream? Serve your guests a mason jar half-filled with grilled watermelon cut into cubes, and then put a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream over top, and zest some lime on top to finish. Watch the ice cream melt over the warmed watermelon, and make gooey summer deliciousness.
Capture of the best of summer and put it on the grill!