Baked Fish Sticks or Chicken Bits
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 1 lb white fish fillets (flounder, cod, etc.) or 1 pound (455g) chicken breast fillets
- 1/4 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup 2-percent low-fat milk
- Breading mix:1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking oil, then coat with canola oil.
- Rinse fish or chicken fillets. Pat dry with a paper towel. Lightly sprinkle salt on both sides of fillets.
- For fish sticks, carefully cut fillets into long strips. For chicken bits, cut fillets into 1-inch (2.5cm) squares.
- Place breading mix and grated lemon rind into a small paper bag. On a pie plate, combine egg, egg white and milk, then beat with a whisk or fork until well blended.
- Dip fish or chicken pieces into the egg and milk mixture. Place fish or chicken pieces, a few at a time, into bag with breading mix and grated lemon rind, hold bag closed and shake well.
- Place coated fish sticks or chicken bits on baking dish. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.