- 6 medium leeks
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/4 cup horseradish sauce, (prepared, cream style)
- Wash leeks thoroughly by soaking in cold water for 10 minutes. Rinse leeks and cut into 3-inch (8cm) pieces, using both the green and white parts. Run more cold water over the cut leeks to remove all dirt and grit.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch (30cm) skillet. Place leeks in skillet and cook, uncovered, turning occasionally for about 15 minutes. The leeks should turn slightly brown and tender.
- Pour water into skillet and turn heat to low. Add salt and cover. Continue to simmer covered for 20 minutes, until leeks are tender.
- Remove leeks from pan, and garnish with a Tbsp (18g) of the prepared horseradish sauce.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.