Focaccia and Gorgonzola with Roasted Garlic
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz Gorgonzola cheese*
- 1 loaf focaccia, about 15 ounces (425g)
- Several hours before serving, roast the garlic.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Slice about 1/2-inch (2cm) of the top of the head of garlic to expose the cloves. Peal off the outer layer or two of skin. (This will depend greatly on the head of garlic that you start with).
- Coat the garlic with the olive oil and place in a very small baking dish (or a garlic roaster), cut side up. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the skin is golden brown and the cloves feel tender to the touch.
- Cool for at least 1 hour, untill room temperature.
- When cool, carefully separate the cloves, removing all but one or two layers of skin, and arrange on an attractive serving dish.
- Cut focaccia bread into 12 slices and place on dish with the garlic and the gorgonzola cheese.
- To serve, each person squeezes a clove of the roasted garlic onto a piece of bread, and tops it with a small piece of Gorgonzola. Delicious!
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.