Grilled Pears with Currants
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 firm but ripe Anjou pears
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil for brushing on grill
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas or electric grill on high.
- In a small bowl, combine the currants, apple juice, and pepper. Allow the currants to marinate until ready to serve.
- Peel the pears and cut them in half lengthwise. Use a paring knife or melon baller to remove the core, leaving a gumball-sized-hole. Place in a shallow dish and brush all over with the melted butter.
- When ready to grill, brush the grill grate with vegetable oil. Place the pears, cut side up, in a single layer directly over the hot fire. Cook just until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes. Brush with any butter remaining in the dish, then turn and grill until tender but firm, about 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Serve warm with a little of the apple juice soaked currants spooned over the top.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.