Arugula and White Bean Salad
- 2 cups dried white northern beans, soaked in water overnight (or 2 cans organic white beans)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 3-inch (8cm) stem of rosemary (leaves removed), or 3/4 tsp dried (1g)
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch arugula, washed, stems removed, and chopped fine
- 3–4 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- Drain and cook beans in simmering water until tender, about 40 minutes. (Beans have better flavor if you add 1/2 tsp (3g) each of salt and garlic powder or a spoonful of miso and a sprig of marjoram the last 15 minutes of cooking.) You can also use precooked, organic canned beans.
- In a blender or food processor, add the garlic, rosemary, vinegars, salt, and pepper. Blend while slowly adding the olive oil.
- Add the beans, arugula, tomatoes and olives to a large salad bowl. Pour desired amount of the dressing over and mix and combine. Serve at room temperature.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.