Asparagus and Rock Shrimp Risotto
- 4 to 4- 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs neutral vegetable oil, such as canola oil
- 1/2 Tbs salt
- 1- 1/2 cups Italian Arborio (short-grained) rice
- 1/2 Tbs finely chopped lemon zest
- 1 lb asparagus, blanched and cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 lb rock shrimp
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring chicken broth to a simmer; keep hot over lowest heat possible. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook onion with butter, oil, and salt over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice to coat with the onion mixture; then stir in lemon zest. Add 1/2 cup simmering stock; stir frequently until broth has been absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup broth; stir frequently until broth has been absorbed. Continue to add broth in this manner until the rice appears creamy and the grains of rice have no uncooked starch inside when tasted.
- About 5 minutes before risotto is done, stir in asparagus and shrimp. Continue cooking until shrimp is pink and just firm. Add a bit more stock, if necessary, to achieve a creamy but not soupy consistency. Serve on warmed plates, and season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.