Autumnal Lamb Stew with Red Kuri Squash and Almonds
- 1 medium red kuri (or butternut squash), halved, seeded (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 small pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 3 pounds American Lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, cooked
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 cups cooked couscous or buttered noodles
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Season the flesh of the squash with salt and pepper. Place in a 13 x 9-inch pan, cut side down. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1/2 cup water to the pan. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350° F or until tender but firm. Remove from oven, let cool. Peel and cut into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Combine all the spices plus the salt. Divide mixture in half. Rub half the spice mixture into the lamb cubes and let sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Place the lamb in a heavy sauce pot and add the chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low heat for about an hour or until the lamb is tender. Skim periodically to remove any fat or impurities.
- Meanwhile, in another large sauce pot, melt the butter. When melted, add the onions and sauté over low heat until translucent, approximately 10 minutes. Add the other portion of the spice mixture, garlic and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Cook over low heat for 3 - 5 minutes until aromatic. Add the golden raisins, garbanzo beans, and honey. Sauté for 1 minute. Set aside until the lamb is tender.
- Once the lamb is tender, strain the meat from the liquid, reserving the liquid. Add the meat to the onion and garbanzo bean mixture. Mix well. Add most or all of the reserved liquid back to the mixture until it reaches a stew-like, not watery, consistency (discard any leftover liquid). Bring to a simmer. Add the cooked squash and simmer for about 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Pour stew onto 6 plates over couscous or buttered egg noodles. Garnish each with toasted almonds and chopped cilantro.
Defrosting Lamb: Thaw frozen lamb in the refrigerator overnight or for faster thawing, use a microwave oven, following the manufacturer's directions. Do not thaw frozen lamb at room temperature.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.