Sweet Potato-Carrot Soup
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 1 1/4 lbs Beauregard, Garnet, or Jewel yam, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 Fuji apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter or canola oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish with 1 Tbls per serving from among: cranberries
- sautéed sliced mushrooms
- flaked hot smoked salmon
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Rub the oil over the yam, carrot, and apple to coat them. Spread them in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, lift the peels off the sweet potato pieces.
- Heat the butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the shallot until soft, 5 minutes. Add the roasted vegetables, apple, and broth. When the liquid boils, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the carrot is soft, 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender. Season it to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into 4 deep soup bowls, garnish as preferred, and serve.
- Garnish suggestions:Cranberries: Homemade or canned chunky relish adds tangy contrast
- Sautéed sliced mushrooms: Bring out the root vegetables' earthy flavor
- Flaked hot smoked salmon: Also called kippered salmon, it adds richness
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using canola oil rather than unsalted butter.
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.