Angel Food Cake
- 12 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp almond extract, optional
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Continue to beat egg mixture, adding granulated sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time. Be sure each sugar addition is dissolved before adding the next.
- Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beat in vanilla and almond extract, if desired.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift powdered sugar, flour, and salt together twice. Sift about 1/2 cup of the flour mixture over egg whites. Fold gently just until flour disappears. Do not stir. Repeat sifting and folding in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10 x 4-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with metal spatula to release any air pockets. Bake in center of 375°F oven until top springs back when lightly tapped with finger, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Invert cake in pan, with tube resting on a bottle. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- To remove cake from pan, run a thin knife between side of pan and cooled cake to loosen all around, taking care not to tear the cake. Repeat, running knife between center tube and cake.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.