- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 8 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
- 6 oz good country ham, or 4 oz proscuitto, finely chopped or ground in food processor
- 1 10 oz French baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices, grilled or toasted
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler. Bring a large sauté pan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the asparagus and cook until tender crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a colander, refresh under cold running water to stop the cooking, and drain well. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese and ham; toss to mix. Set aside.
- Using your fingers to hold the garlic, rub the clove against one side of the toasted bread to flavor the entire surface. Drizzle or brush with a bit of the olive oil. Arrange the blanched asparagus on the toasts, then divide the cheese and ham topping evenly over the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place bruschetta on a baking sheet and broil just until the cheese melts and begins to brown, about 1-2 minutes. Keep a careful watch so as not to burn.
- Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.