Arroz con Pollo [Rice with Chicken]
- 8 chicken thighs
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 14.5-ounce can plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can baby corn, drained
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream for garnish
- 1 avocado, sliced for garnish
- cilantro sprigs
- Spice Rub:1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Spice RubIn medium bowl or spice bag, mix together all ingredients. Add chicken and rub spices into all sides of chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for least 1 hour.
- Rice and ChickenOver medium heat in heavy 4-quart pot with cover, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Saute chicken, turning frequently, until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to casserole dish. Mix in onion and garlic; saute for 3 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken broth, roasted peppers, tomatoes with juice, black beans, corn and salt. Bring to simmer; add chicken back to casserole. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for 20 minutes. Turn chicken and cook for another 20 minutes, or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced with tip of sharp knife and rice is tender. Add cilantro; transfer to serving dish and garnish with sour cream, cilantro sprigs and avocado slices. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.