Asparagus Frittata with Red Bell Peppers
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and blanched
- salt, as needed
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbs Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbs butter, softened
- lemon wedges and sprigs of Italian parsley for garnish
- Reserve 6 asparagus spears. Cut remaining asparagus at an angle into -inch pieces, reserve.
- Sauté bell pepper in 2 tablespoons olive oil until soft, but not browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in onion and reserved asparagus pieces; sauté for 1 minute. With a slotted spoon remove vegetables to drain on paper toweling, reserve.
- Whisk chopped parsley, salt and pepper into beaten eggs. Stir in cheese and reserved sautéed vegetables. Coat the inside of a heavy, non-stick -inch frying pan (with a cover) with softened butter. Pour egg mixture into pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven, covered, until eggs are just firm, about 35 minutes. Remove cover; bake until top is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Loosen the frittata, then cover pan with a large, warmed serving platter. Flip frying pan over onto platter. Cut frittata into 6 wedges; garnish each with 1 reserved asparagus spear. Divide wedges among 6 serving plates, then put a lemon wedge and a sprig of parsley on each plate.
Preparation Tip: Use a cheese planer or a potato peeler to shave cheese paper thin.
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.