Basic Baked Custard
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg or cinnamon, optional
- Heat oven to 350°F. Heat milk in small saucepan until very hot. Milk should be steaming, but not bubbling. Meanwhile, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt in medium bowl until blended but not foamy; slowly stir in hot milk.
- Place six lightly greased 6 oz. custard cups in baking pan large enough to hold cups without touching each other or sides of pan. Pour egg mixture into cups, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon, if desired.
- Place pan on rack in center of 350°F oven; pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of top of cups. Bake until knife inserted near center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes; center will still be soft. Remove cups from water bath at once; cool on wire rack 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or refrigerate until cold.
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.