Basic Sponge Cake Roll
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 6 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs powdered sugar, sifted
- Heat oven to 400°F. Coat a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch cookie sheet with cooking spray. Line bottom with waxed paper or parchment paper; spray paper.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, add 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, 2 Tbs at a time. Beat after each addition to make certain sugar is dissolved before adding next. Continue beating until egg whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- Beat egg yolks in clean mixer bowl on high speed until thick and lemon-colored, 3–5 minutes. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar until mixture is pale yellow and sugar is dissolved. Beat in vanilla and salt.
- Sift flour over egg whites. Add yolk mixture. Fold gently but thoroughly until color is uniform and no streaks of flour remain. Do not stir. Pour into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- Bake in 400°F oven until center springs back when lightly tapped with finger, 10–12 minutes.
- Sprinkle clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar. Loosen cake from sides of pan with knife. Invert cake onto towel; carefully peel off waxed paper. Trim all cake edges with serrated knife. Roll up cake, starting from short end and rolling towel in with cake. Cool wrapped cake roll, seam-side down on wire rack.
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.