Fat-Free Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp maple extract
- 1 Tbs chai concentrate (optional)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup candied ginger
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (for coating)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (for coating)
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, molasses, apple sauce, vanilla extract, maple extract, chai concentrate. Beat with an electric mixer for about 4 minutes, until smooth. Add egg whites and beat for another minute until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in dry ingredients and beat until completely incorporated. Stir in candied ginger. Chill dough from at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray.
- Combine granulated sugar with cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Scoop 1 tablespoon of cookie dough and place in the shallow bowl. Using your hands, coat the dough with the cinnamon sugar and shape into balls.
- Place cookie dough on prepared cookie sheet leaving about 3 inches between each cookie. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.