- butter for baking dish
- 1 Tbs mild-flavored honey
- 2 Tbs Kirsch or fruit liqueur (my favorite is Amaretto), optional
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup sifted unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free plain yogurt
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups fruit, such as strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, pitted cherries, sliced peaches, or plums
- 2 tsp chopped dried apricots, soaked in water to soften
- 2 tsp confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly butter an oval 6-cup (1.5-liter) ovenproof dish.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the honey, liqueur (if using), egg whites, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Slowly beat in the flour, then add the yogurt and salt and mix together well, but gently.
- Spread the fruit and the softened apricots in the baking dish. Pour the batter over the fruit and place on the upper rack of the oven. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden. Place a doily over the top of the dish and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar to decorate, if using.
Variation: Sprinkle 1/2 cup sliced almonds over the clafouti after it has been in the oven for 15 minutes.
Homemade Apricot Sauce: Chop 6 dried apricots and soak them in 1 cup (240 ml) water for 1 hour; puree to serve as a fruit sauce over the clafouti.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.