Baked Tomatoes with Olives
- 1 1/4 cup warm cooked spelt or farro
- 3/4 cup sliced olives
- 1/3 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded basil
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs plain breadcrumbs
- 4 (8 oz.) firm, ripe tomatoes
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine spelt, 1/2 cup olives, 2 tablespoons asiago cheese, basil, vinegar and salt. Season with pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs with remaining olives and asiago cheese. Set aside. Prepare tomatoes for stuffing by cutting 1/4-inch off of the tops of each. Using a small spoon or melonballer, scoop out seeds and center flesh to make each into a hollow cup (leaving at least 1/4-inch of flesh around sides and bottom). Fill each tomato with 1/2 cup (approximately 3 ounces) of spelt mixture.
- Top with breadcrumb mixture and place on a high sided baking pan. Broil under medium-high heat for 45-90 seconds until golden brown. Serve warm or room temperature.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.