Classic Beef Pot Roast with Root Vegetables
- 1 boneless beef chuck shoulder, arm or blade pot roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 lb small red-skinned potatoes (about 1-1/2-inch diameter), cut in half
- 1 lb carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tbs all-purpose flour dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Seasoning2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves, crushed
- Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef pot roast. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/4 hours. Add potatoes, carrots and onion to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 25 to 30 minutes or until pot roast and vegetables are fork-tender. Stir in peas; simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove pot roast and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary. Measure 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid and return to stockpot; stir in flour mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Carve pot roast into thin slices; serve with vegetables and gravy. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Substitution: Beef bottom round or beef round rump roast may be substituted for shoulder, arm or blade pot roast. Simmer 2-1/2 hours before adding vegetables.
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.