Hearty Glazed Tri-Tip Roast with Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce
- 1 beef tri-tip roast (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1 red onion, cut into 16 wedges
- 4 cups baby broccoli, trimmed (about 9 ounces)
- nonstick cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- Marinade1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tbs crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 Tbs minced onion
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons for basting. Place beef roast and remaining marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn roast to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Remove roast from marinade; discard marinade. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Place onion wedges around roast. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness, basting with reserved 2 tablespoons marinade halfway through roasting time.
- Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Meanwhile prepare Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Spray baby broccoli with nonstick cooking spray, tossing to coat. Place on metal baking sheet. Roast in 425°F oven 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender and slightly browned. Toss onion wedges with baby broccoli. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Top beef with Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce. Serve with vegetables.
Substitution Tip: One 3 to 4 pound beef round tip roast may be substituted for tri-tip. Double the amount of ingredients for the red onions Broccolini, Marinade and Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce .
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.