Artichokes Stuffed with Chicken and Wild Rice
- ½ cup wild rice
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 4 medium globe artichokes
- 1 large celery stalk
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons minced tarragon (or two teaspoons dried)
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Bring wild rice to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until kernels just puff open, 45 to 50 minutes. Drain if necessary, and transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Meanwhile, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Trim stems, lower leaves and tops from artichokes. Add 1 Tablespoon salt and artichokes to water. Reduce to a gentle simmer, cover and cook until a petal near the center pulls out easily, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and cool completely.
- Halve each artichoke lengthwise, scraping out the fuzzy choke. Set halves aside.
- Add chicken, celery, apple, scallion and tarragon to wild rice. In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar until combined. Pour over rice mixture and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and divide mixture over artichoke halves.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.