Roasted Chicken on a Bed of Winter Vegetables
- 3 1/2 lb broiler-fryer chicken
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 med onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 med leeks, white part only, washed carefully and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin sticks or rounds
- 6 red potatoes, quartered
- 4 med parsnips, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Rinse chicken thoroughly. Put lemon, onion, and thyme into the cavity of the chicken. Sprinkle the skin of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the leeks, carrots, potatoes, and parsnips over the bottom of a roasting pan. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Set the chicken on top of the vegetables. Pour white wine and chicken broth over chicken and vegetables.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour until the skin is browned, the juices at the joint of the thigh run clear when pierced with a knife, and a thermometer inserted into the flesh of the thigh registers 180 F. Stir vegetables and baste chicken with juices occasionally during cooking.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Lift the vegetables into a serving bowl and pour or ladle the juices into a pitcher or gravy boat. Carve the chicken and serve with vegetable juices.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.