Wine-Braised Short Ribs
- 2 lbs well-trimmed beef short ribs, cut into 3 2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes with Italian seasonings
- 1 cup dry red wine
- cooked soft polenta or pasta (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef short ribs in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove from stockpot. Season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Add onion to stockpot; cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes and wine. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove beef; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Serve short ribs with sauce and polenta or pasta, if desired.
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.