Baby Zuppa di Pesce
- 8 jumbo (U/15) shrimp
- 8 colossal (U/10) dry scallops
- 8 oz calamari (squid), cleaned and sliced
- 20 littleneck clams (mussels may be substituted or added for variation)
- 2 4 oz lobster tails, cut in half
- 2 oz olive oil
- 4 oz dry white wine
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz imported canned plum tomatoes (crushed by hand)
- 12 torn fresh basil leaves
- 16 oz shrimp stock (clam juice or seafood stock can be substituted)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp crushed chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices grilled crusty French or Italian bread rubbed with garlic
- In a medium sized heavy bottom sauce pan heat olive oil, garlic, fennel, chili flakes slowly until garlic in lightly toasted. Add tomatoes and simmer 1 minute increasing the heat to high. Stir in basil, oregano, wine and clams and simmer 2 minutes covered. Season remaining seafood with salt and pepper. Add shrimp stock to pan and return to simmer. Add remaining seafood and simmer an additional 2 ½ to 3 minutes or until cooked through (be careful not to overcook!).
- To serve: Divide seafood and broth into 4 medium sized pasta bowls and serve with 2 slices grilled bread.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.