Baked Chili with Beef and Pinto Beans
- 1 1/2 cups pinto beans, dried
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1 lb round steak, trimmed, cut into 1inch (3cm) pieces
- 2 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 cups tomato sauce, (one 29-ounce can)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Rinse beans thoroughly and sort through to remove dirt. In a large Dutch oven, cover beans and water, and heat to a boil. Boil for two minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and bake in oven until beef and beans are tender, about 4 hours. Remove from oven and stir.
- Serve with light sour cream and chopped green onions.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.