Beef & Mushroom Stew
- 4 pounds boneless beef chuck or round, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 head garlic, separated, peeled
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 envelope (0.9 ounce) onion-mushroom soup mix
- 1 pound assorted small fresh mushrooms, such as button, cremini and shiitake
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas
- Combine flour and pepper; lightly coat beef with flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/4 of beef; remove beef. Repeat three times.
- Add onions and garlic to Dutch oven; cook and stir over medium heat 3 minutes. Add wine; cook and stir until browned bits attached to pan are dissolved. Stir in broth and soup mix until blended.
- Add mushrooms and beef to Dutch oven; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 45 minutes. Add carrots; continue simmering, covered, 30 minutes or until beef is fork-tender. Add peas; simmer 5 minutes.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.