Black Bean and Mixed Rice Casserole
- 1 6 oz package white and wild rice mix
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 lb boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook rice according to package directions, discarding spice packet.
- Spray medium skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion, green and red pepper, mushrooms, and Italian seasoning; cook, covered and over medium heat until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Cook, uncovered and until vegetables are tender and excess moisture is gone, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Combine rice, mushroom mixture, chicken, beans, corn, peas, sour cream, and 1 cup cheese; season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon into 2-quart casserole; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered at 350° F until hot through, about 30 minutes.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.