Black Bean, Couscous, and Pepper Salad
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking couscous
- 1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 1/4 lb lean ham, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tbs olive oil and vinegar dressing
- several drops hot pepper sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- several lettuce leaves (optional)
- Bring water and olive oil to a boil. Remove from the heat, add couscous, stir, and cover with a lid. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Place black beans, ham, onion, and red bell pepper in a medium-size bowl. Add the couscous. Drizzle dressing over salad. Add hot pepper sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well. Sprinkle cilantro on top. To serve, arrange lettuce leaves on 2 plates and spoon salad onto the lettuce.
Shopping Suggestion: At the deli counter, ask for the ham to be cut in one thick piece so that it can be easily cut into 1/2-inch cubes or coarsely chopped.
Variation: Parsley can be substituted for the cilantro.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.