Blueberry and Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
- 4 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 cups red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs sherry wine
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar 4 ounces (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 5 quarts baby spinach
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbles
- 2 oz bacon bits
- In a skillet, over medium heat, sauté bacon until crisp, about 7 minutes. Add onion; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add sugar; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Deglaze pan with sherry.
- Add vinegar and 6 ounces water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and chicken broth; add to simmering liquid, stirring rapidly; continue cooking until dressing is thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Use immediately or chill and reheat as needed. (Yield: about 12 ounces)
- At service, in a large bowl, toss spinach with 8 ounces of the hot dressing.
- On each of four large plates, divide dressed spinach (about 5 cups per plate). Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup cheese crumbles and 1 tablespoon bacon bits.
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.