Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme and Parmesan
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the onion, garlic, and thyme in the olive oil until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and saute for another minute or so.
- Add the vegetable stock, bring to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes. Season with cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper, and salt, and stir to combine. Let simmer a few minutes more and then remove from heat.
- Using a hand blender, puree the soup into a creamy, smooth consistency.
- Return to heat, and let the soup warm through.
- Serve in bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.