Butternut Squash with Parmesan
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 3-inch piece Parmesan cheese rind
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds each), peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 fresh sage leaves, diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sweat until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the stock, Parmesan rind, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the squash and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Remove the Parmesan rind and bay leaves; reserve the rind for another use.
- Puree about one quarter of the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return the puree to the pot and stir in the grated Parmesan, sage, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and cayenne. Simmer for 2 minutes to heat through.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with chopped parsley.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated on serving size of 1 cup.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.