Camping Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare pasta at home according to package directions. Store in a sealable container and place in a zip bag. Place shredded cheeses in a container, flour in its own small bag, and the bread crumbs in their own bag as well.
- Place macaroni, cheese, butter, and milk in a cooler full of ice to transport to your camping site.
- Once your camp is set up and you are ready to cook, light charcoals in your grill. When the coals are amber you are ready to cook.
- Place a large cast iron Dutch oven on your barbecue. Melt butter over charcoals and whisk in milk. One tablespoon at a time, whisk in flour until it has thickened and you have a roux. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Slowly stir in the cheese blend until it has melted into the roux. Reserve some cheese to top the macaroni.
- Add cooked macaroni to the dutch oven and stir to coat with sauce. Cover and allow to cook until it is heated throughout, about 5 minutes.
- Top with reserved cheese and bread crumbs. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.