Chicken and Asparagus with Black Bean Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbs peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbs Chinese black bean garlic sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 lb asparagus, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 lb boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 red jalapeño chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbs cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tsp oyster sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- In wok or large, deep sided skillet warm peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, Chinese black bean garlic sauce, ginger, and salt; toss and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Raise heat to high, add asparagus, onion, and bell pepper. Toss and stir until coated with oil and sauce, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken and cook, tossing, until opaque and firm, about 3 - 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar, and chili; bring mixture to a boil, cover and cook additional minute until asparagus is tender but still crunchy.
- Add cornstarch mixture and oyster sauce, if using. Cook, stirring continuously, until sauce thickens for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in sesame oil; serve hot.
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.