Chicken and Lime Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 15 baby carrots, cut crosswise into thirds (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free less-sodium chicken broth (about 5 1/4 cups)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style diced tomatoes with peppers
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn with red and green peppers, drained
- 2 Tbs canned mild diced chilies
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups large chunks rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- Serving1 large avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbs freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup broken tortilla chips
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot or 5-6 quart Dutch oven. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and cumin seed. Stir well and cook, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the zucchini and chili powder and cook, stirring frequently, just until the zucchini begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, corn, chiles, and salt. Stir well and bring to a boil. Cover, turn the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken, stir well, and simmer about 3 minutes to heat the chicken.
- While the soup is simmering, peel the avocado and cut it into chunks. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Spoon into warm soup bowls and top with the avocado chunks and tortilla chips.
Variation: For a spicier touch, stir 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in along with the broth.
Company's Coming: Pull out a big pot and double the recipe for great casual get-together fare. Squeeze in about 5 tablespoons of lime juice. Toss the avocado chunks in a little lime juice to keep them nicely green.
Lighter Touch: Make your own tortilla strips to reduce the fat. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Omit the chili powder from the soup. Cut 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas in half, then cut them into 1/2-inch strips. Put in a bowl, lightly coat with nonstic
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.