Chicken Breasts and Mushroom Artichoke Ragu
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2 Tbs caramelized onion infused olive oil divided (you can also use garlic infused oil or basic olive oil)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 1 can artichoke hearts, quartered and rinsed
- 1 tsp fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Sauté onions in 1 Tbsp. of oil in a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes, tossing occasionally. Remove mushrooms and onions, set aside.
- Sear chicken in 1 Tbsp. of oil in the skillet until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and sear it for an additional 3 minutes. Deglaze the skillet with the wine and broth; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, honey, white wine vinegar and remaining caramelized onion oil; set aside. In a separate bowl combine butter and flour.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cover to keep warm.
- Bring the wine mixture to a simmer on high heat. Whisk in the honey-vinegar mixture and 1 Tbsp. of the flour-butter mixture. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add reserved mushroom mixture, artichokes, basil, dried tarragon, and salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, slice chicken and arrange on plates with mashed potatoes and ragu.
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.