Chicken Brunswick Stew with Roasted Garlic
- 1 head garlic
- 2 Tbs olive oil (plus 1 teaspoon)
- 1 3 lb chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground and divided
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 garden tomatoes, chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can, low-sodium chicken broth
- 24 pearl onions, peeled
- 3 med potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 ears corn, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 Tbs fresh sage (or 2 teaspoons dried sage), chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut 6-inch square piece of aluminum foil. Slice 1/2-inch off top of garlic and set head on foil. Drizzle garlic with 1 teaspoon olive oil; wrap in foil and bake for 40 minutes, until soft. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Season chicken with garlic salt, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In large soup pot over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add chicken and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of liquid. Add bell peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Open foil and squeeze garlic out of skin, adding to pot.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice and broth; replace chicken. Bring to simmer over high heat; reduce to low and let stew for 15 minutes.
- Stir pearl onions, potatoes, corn, squash, and sage into stew; cook for 15 more minutes. Season with salt and remaining pepper; serve immediately in wide, shallow bowls.
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.