Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 3-pound chicken, liver discarded
- 2- 1/2 quarts cold water
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 onions, peeled
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, cut into 4 pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- Soup1 cup small pasta, cooked
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 Tbs fresh dill, chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- To Prepare Broth:Place chicken (except liver), giblets and neck with all remaining broth ingredients into large pot; cover. Over high heat, bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; skim surface of broth to remove foam. Let simmer for 1 1/2 hours, skimming occasionally, and turning chicken. Add more water if necessary to keep chicken submerged.
- Remove chicken with tongs and cool. Strain broth through a fine sieve. Discard celery, herbs and spices. (Also, discard giblets and neck if used in broth.) Reserve onions and carrots. Remove any excess fat from top of broth with spoon.
- Pull chicken meat from bones and discard skin and bones. Dice chicken and reserve. Quarter cooked onions if desired.
- To Prepare Soup:In large soup pot over high heat, return strained chicken broth and bring to rolling boil. Add reserved onions and carrots. Reduce heat to low; stir in reserved chicken meat, pasta and frozen peas, cooking until warm. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top each with dill and parsley.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.