Chunky Chili Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, chopped
- 1 10 oz can, whole tomatoes and green chilies, crushed
- 2 15 oz cans, black beans, with liquid
- 1 15 oz can, tomato sauce
- 1 8 oz can, tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz can, beer (or substitute chicken stock)
- 5 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 med sweet onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 1 cup baby corn (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cilantro leaves, minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add chicken and sauté until no longer pink, about 4 minutes each side. Remove chicken from pot; wipe pot dry.
- Heat remaining oil and sauté onion, garlic, bell pepper, and cumin for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes and chilies, tomato sauce, beer, salt, and pepper. Add chicken back to pot. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add beans, corn, and olives. Simmer 15 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro, if desired; serve hot topped with cheddar cheese.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.