Coconut French Toast with Rum-Infused Caramelized Bananas
- 4 thick slices of challah bread
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbs butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs orange juice
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp dark rum
- 1 tsp coconut-flavored rum
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Place bread slices in the bowl and allow bread to soak up egg mixture for 5 minutes. Turn over and soak bread for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet, fry the bread over medium heat. Flip bread and continue to cook until both sides are lightly browned. Put French toast on a cookie sheet and place in the preheated oven to stay warm. Repeat until all bread is fried and placed in the oven.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a nonstick pan. Add sugar and orange juice then whisk until mixture starts to bubble and brown. Carefully pour in coconut milk, milk, and rum; stir until combined. Add sliced bananas and cook for 2 minutes, flipping half way through.
- To serve, plate French toast and top with caramelized banana mixture. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or toasted coconut.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.