Cranberry Apple Walnut Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 tsp orange zest (grated peel)
- 12 dates, pitted and chopped
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup maple syrup or concentrated fruit sweetener
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 cups grated apple
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly oil muffin tins or line with paper muffin liners.
- Put flours, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves in a large mixing bowl; stir and set aside.
- Place dates and hot water in blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add juice, yogurt, bananas, syrup, oil and vanilla extract; blend again. Add eggs and cranberries and pulse for a few seconds, just long enough to break up cranberries.
- Add wet ingredients to dry mixture. Fold in grated apple and walnuts and gently mix together using a minimum number of strokes.
- Fill muffin cups to top with batter. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.