Garlic and Mushroom Spaghetti
- 8 oz uncooked spaghetti, broken in half
- 1/2 cup hot cooking water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs jarred minced garlic
- 1 6-ounce package sliced mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups bite-size chunks rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup chopped Roma tomatoes (about 2 large tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup already-shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs finely chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions until firm to the bite. Use a ladle or glass measuring cup to carefully remove 1/2 cup of the hot water from the pot. Set aside. Drain the spaghetti and rinse in hot water, shaking off the excess. Set the spaghetti aside.
- Combine the oil and garlic in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to lose their juice and turn gold, about 4 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the chicken, capers, salt, and red pepper flakes, if using. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the reserved pasta liquid and then the spaghetti, and stir well to combine. Cook for 3 minutes to heat through, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the tomatoes, cheese, and parsley. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.