Greek Lentil Soup
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups beef broth, (canned or made with bouillion)
- 2 cups lentils, uncooked, rinsed and drained
- 14 1/2 oz tomatoes, stewed, chopped (one 14.5-ounce can)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried mint leaves, (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 10 oz frozen spinach, chopped, thawed
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and sauté garlic, celery, carrots and onions for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add water, broth and lentils. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped tomatoes and juice along with the seasonings (oregano, mint, salt, and pepper). Add spinach and simmer uncovered for another 15–20 minutes.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.