No-Time-Flat Chicken Chili
- Spice Blend1/4 cup mild chili powder
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 2 Tbs dried oregano, crumbled between the fingers
- 1 tsp salt
- Chili2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced mild chilies, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 Tbs jarred minced garlic
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken chunks, skin removed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in purée
- 1 (15 ounce can) kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce can) pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free less-sodium chicken broth (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Spice BlendMix the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- ChiliLightly coat a Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray. Heat the oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, add chiles, tomato paste, garlic, and spice blend, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chicken, tomatoes, beans, and broth, stir well and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Turn the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the cilantro and serve.
Variation: Chili powders are blends of spices, so try different brands to find the ones you like.
Cooking Tip: The spices in this dish are double-developed: once when they cook with the onion, pepper, chilies, and tomato paste, and again when they simmer away in the pot.
Nutrition Note: The beans, tomatoes, and chicken put this on my "good-for-you" list.
Serving Suggestion: Leftover chili pairs with a 28 ounce tube of polenta to make a great chili pie. Lightly coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour about 3 cups of chili into the pan. Top with 1/2-inch-thick slices of polenta and sprinkle with 2 cups already-shredded Cheddar cheese. Bake in a 350° F oven until the filling is bubbly and the cheese melts.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.