Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Leeks
- 4 cups sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 nice leek, sliced into 1/2" pieces, including the green
- 3-4 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs umeboshi plum vinegar
- 2 tsp aged balsamic, or 1 teaspoon balsamic plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tsp shoyu (soy sauce)
- sea salt
- Steam the Brussels sprouts for about 5 minutes, or until just tender enough to pierce with a fork. Remove from the pot and shock under cold, running water just after steaming to arrest the heat to prevent overcooking.
- Then steam the leek for about 4 minutes, until perky green and tender. The time will vary depending on the size of the veggies and the cut of each. Remove from the pot and shock.
- Toss in a bowl with the olive oil, umeboshi plum vinegar, aged balsamic (or balsamic plus maple syrup), and shoyu. Adjust to taste and season with sea salt as desired.
Serving Suggestion: Excellent warm or at room temperature. Stores well for a day or two.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.