Spicy Black Bean Chili
- 2 1/4 cups black beans, dried, uncooked
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 6 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, (red or green), chopped
- 1 whole jalapeno chile pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 Tbs garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Tbs cilantro leaves, chopped
- Wash beans and place in a large pot, cover with water and soak overnight.
- Drain beans and place in a large soup pot. Add 8 cups (1.9L) water to beans and heat to a boil. Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are almost cooked.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Continue cooking for 30 minutes than add cilantro.
- Simmer for another 30–45 minutes until beans are soft.
- Top with light sour cream or yogurt, if desired. Leftovers freeze well.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.